New Light Rod

Drunkenfisho

Hey guys 

In need of a new bream and flattie rod

Looking for a new light rod to pair either with stradic fl or vanford. Was thinking a zodias but have heard good things about the atomic arrowz, and wonder if it will do the job as well at half the price

Thanks

Give the a daiwa infeet a go! I've tried my mates and its awesome. The arrowz are very lightweight for a cheaper rod however I find their taper very hard to work plastics quickly with however they are good for double hop retrieves and crankbaits. Would go either a TD Tierra or an Infeet man! Zodias r also very good, I have a td black grub'n personally and I love it it has the perfect taper to be used for anything.

39 minutes ago, JamoDamo said:

Give the a daiwa infeet a go! I've tried my mates and its awesome. The arrowz are very lightweight for a cheaper rod however I find their taper very hard to work plastics quickly with however they are good for double hop retrieves and crankbaits. Would go either a TD Tierra or an Infeet man! Zodias r also very good, I have a td black grub'n personally and I love it it has the perfect taper to be used for anything.

Thanks mate, will head in store tomorrow and check out the rods.

Bit hesitant with the zodias, only want to spend Max 200 and wanting something light for throwing plastics.

What are the daiwa rods you mentioned like in regards to weight compared to the zodias?

2 hours ago, Drunkenfisho said:

Thx guys, does anyone know about the lightness of the arrowz?

Arrows are generally a lot "softer" I have the 270SUL (2 piece 7ft ultra light) it is more of a medium action. Good all rounder but its not my go-to for soft plastics. It will absorb lunges and headshakes really well. 

The Zodias in the light is a bit of a faster action and the medium light faster still. It feels more premium in the hand. 

If you are new to the hobby you cant go wrong with the arrows, zodias or infeet range as others have mentioned. The shimano raider are also a good starting point. 

It really comes down to your budget, and brand preference. 

37 minutes ago, GoldenHourFishing said:

Arrows are generally a lot "softer" I have the 270SUL (2 piece 7ft ultra light) it is more of a medium action. Good all rounder but its not my go-to for soft plastics. It will absorb lunges and headshakes really well. 

The Zodias in the light is a bit of a faster action and the medium light faster still. It feels more premium in the hand. 

If you are new to the hobby you cant go wrong with the arrows, zodias or infeet range as others have mentioned. The shimano raider are also a good starting point. 

It really comes down to your budget, and brand preference. 

Thanks for the advice, been fishing for a few years with lures now and and looking to upgrade to more quality gear, just want something light and that won't break the bank, open to any further suggestions on rods that aren't to expensive

Hi DF,

I mentor several people on light gear each year and I've put most of them onto the ArrowZ range or alternatively the Raider Bream Finesse 762 (2-4kg 3-12gram lure weight). I own three ArrowZ in lighter ranges. Estuary Super Ultralight, Bream Surface and the Estuary Ultralight.

The frustrating thing with the Frogley website is that you have to jump around to see the various options. So you may not be aware of the full range available to you in what you are asking.

I put pretty well all of them onto the Estuary Ultralight as it is the most forgiving in the range with 3-10lb line and 3-14gram lure weight.

In my case I've matched it with either the Sedona or the Stradic (post Covid present to myself). It is a sweet outfit. I'm a big fan of the short butt which allows me to work the plastics without hitting on the meat of my forearm.

Where are you based? If anywhere near the lower North Shore can show you what they are like.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Drunkenfisho said:

Thanks mate, will head in store tomorrow and check out the rods.

Bit hesitant with the zodias, only want to spend Max 200 and wanting something light for throwing plastics.

What are the daiwa rods you mentioned like in regards to weight compared to the zodias?

Hey mate both are light as a feather! Love my td black has the perfect taper and plenty of backbone for bream fishing to pull them out of structure!

17 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi DF,

I mentor several people on light gear each year and I've put most of them onto the ArrowZ range or alternatively the Raider Bream Finesse 762 (2-4kg 3-12gram lure weight). I own three ArrowZ in lighter ranges. Estuary Super Ultralight, Bream Surface and the Estuary Ultralight.

The frustrating thing with the Frogley website is that you have to jump around to see the various options. So you may not be aware of the full range available to you in what you are asking.

I put pretty well all of them onto the Estuary Ultralight as it is the most forgiving in the range with 3-10lb line and 3-14gram lure weight.

In my case I've matched it with either the Sedona or the Stradic (post Covid present to myself). It is a sweet outfit. I'm a big fan of the short butt which allows me to work the plastics without hitting on the meat of my forearm.

Where are you based? If anywhere near the lower North Shore can show you what they are like.

Hey Derek, I'm down south coast way actually, which is sometimes irritating because near my location the closest decent fishable estuary is at least 1/2hr away, bit to far for fishing after work. Throughout summer I hammered nearby little beach creek run-ins and lagoons with little plastics and though they fish better than I expected, most of the flatties and bream are under 20cm!.

I checked out a zodias in the local store and while I loved its lightness, I decided that I can't justify 300 bucks for it. Any other rods that are within $200, I'm free to suggestions... will check out the daiwa td range instore tomorrow, couldn't make it there today

22 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi DF,

What is the weight difference like between the arrowz and raider?

Also, I saw a maikuro 7ft 1-4kg online...anyone know about them

I looked at an arrowz yesterday at a clearance price at a major chain and was very sorely tempted. As a regular Finesse Bream Raider user I can attest that they are a bit lighter as @DerekD says. But I already have a veritable forest of good 2-4 and 1-3kg rods, so I made the hard decision to pass it by! I’m very happy with my bream raider all the same, so I’ll leave my collection alone for now.