Bali Sportfishing?

Berleyguts

I’m going to Bali in 3 weeks, for 10 days. I’ve done a bit of a search here but couldn’t find much info. Do any Raiders have any info on sportfishing and charters in Bali? I won’t be taking any gear with me, so it will need to be a charter. We’ll be staying in the Legian area. My first trip to Bali/Indonesia, despite studying Indonesian many years ago at high school and I’m really looking forward to it!

Info on charters by PM please.

TIA.

Baz

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

I’m going to Bali in 3 weeks, for 10 days. I’ve done a bit of a search here but couldn’t find much info. Do any Raiders have any info on sportfishing and charters in Bali? I won’t be taking any gear with me, so it will need to be a charter. We’ll be staying in the Legian area. My first trip to Bali/Indonesia, despite studying Indonesian many years ago at high school and I’m really looking forward to it!

Info on charters by PM please.

TIA.

Baz

Baz we have contacts there that will look after you. 
I will send you a message 😉

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Rebel said:

Have a great trip.

Beware of people trying to sell you anything.

There are a lot of strange people in Bali.

Cheers.

There are a lot of beautiful people there too @Rebel They have had a very hard time during their pandemic. The island runs on tourism. It is nice to see Aussies returning to enjoy the culture and people. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

There are a lot of beautiful people there too @Rebel They have had a very hard time during their pandemic. The island runs on tourism. It is nice to see Aussies returning to enjoy the culture and people. 

That’s right, Donna! I am SO looking forward to it! We have spent the afternoon watching YouTube videos of the area we are staying. Recent videos showing how it is post Covid - it seems pretty quiet and still a lot of places closed but it looks like it’s picking up. We’re trying to find all the good places to eat - we love Indonesian (and all south East Asian) food and are really looking forward to meeting locals and soaking up the culture. 😎 I can’t believe it but my wife has already said, “Maybe we can look at retiring there, for a few years at least.” 😂

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

That’s right, Donna! I am SO looking forward to it! We have spent the afternoon watching YouTube videos of the area we are staying. Recent videos showing how it is post Covid - it seems pretty quiet and still a lot of places closed but it looks like it’s picking up. We’re trying to find all the good places to eat - we love Indonesian (and all south East Asian) food and are really looking forward to meeting locals and soaking up the culture. 😎 I can’t believe it but my wife has already said, “Maybe we can look at retiring there, for a few years at least.” 😂

Are you in any Facebook groups? Lots of restaurants are open again but they are not serving their full menus yet.

Just make it an adventure. The other tourists will tell you where to eat and what to see. It’s fun to make your own discoveries Baz. You must be very excited. 

It isn’t the place to retire now for various reasons but it is a great place to holiday. 

My first visit to Bali was 1976 when it was a pristine environment. I too studied Bahasa Indonesia at high school and later at Sydney Uni sekolah malam. My kids thought it was really cool when Mum chatted with the Balinese. 

I hope to get back there next year to see how it is looking and catch up with old friends. We stay at Sanur and Nusa Dua. 

It is windy season for the next few months, not ideal for fishing unless you can jag a calm day. One or two days after the full moon for a Ruby Snapper perhaps!

Even if you don’t get out to fish throw a report up in The Bar about your escapades Baz. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Hope it’s better than the last charter you took Baz from what I hear! Lol 😝 

🍌 🍌🍌🍌🍌

cheers scratchie!!! 

Have you been talking to Dooley? He’s christened me Banana Baz! 😂 I actually managed 2 nice flathead on plastics near the lodge - the best fish of the charter.

I’m still struggling to hold a rod with my casting hand (right) after my surgery. Should be able to manage trolling and holding the rod in my left hand and winding with my right. 🤷‍♂️ Still don’t know if I’m going to get a fishing trip in!

2 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Have you been talking to Dooley? He’s christened me Banana Baz! 😂 I actually managed 2 nice flathead on plastics near the lodge - the best fish of the charter.

I’m still struggling to hold a rod with my casting hand (right) after my surgery. Should be able to manage trolling and holding the rod in my left hand and winding with my right. 🤷‍♂️ Still don’t know if I’m going to get a fishing trip in!

Yes mate, dools filled me in! That’s an expensive couple of flathead. Good luck in Bali 👍

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, just a quick update. We had a wonderful time in Bali! I did not go fishing (so it was normal for me! 😂). In fact, we only went to the beach once, on our first day. We walked from our hotel about 600m to Legian Beach and down towards Kuta to check things out. We sat down for a Bintang and a Sprite and were instantly surrounded by locals offering massages, selling bracelets etc. One strange guy just sat with us with a little case on his lap looking at us and not saying a word. It was a bit weird. It was only when I asked what he had in his case that he started to talk and he said, “Silver jewellery”, that he talked a bit. When I said my skin reacts to metals other than gold, he didn’t say anything more and didn’t even open the case and he continued to sit there, looking at us. He didn’t worry us, though… but my wife got freaked out by the touchy feely ladies wanting to massage us and we finished our drinks and up and left! 😂 Sad, as we wanted to sit and watch the surfers… it was quite a long break. 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, we had a wonderful time, ate some amazing Balinese food, saw the barong/Kris dance and the kecak/fire dance I studied back in high school, drank kopi luwak (the “cat poo” coffee) and met some wonderful, amazingly friendly Balinese people. 😎 The closest I got to anything to do with fishing was a trip to the pasar pagi (morning market) where we saw fish for sale and watching some fishing boats heading out to a reef near Uluwatu while we watched the sunset as we waited for the kecak/fire dance at the “monkey” temple. I didn’t actually find any leads on a charter that I thought would suit me - they all seemed to be traditional fishing boats targeting fish for a feed. Still, there will be other trips, for sure… I expect to return to Bali many more times! When I get a chance, I’ll put some pics up in The Bar - I’ve just got to get them down to a smaller size.

Bali bagus!

PS. The 3 of us caught Covid-19 for the 2nd time over there. I didn’t even know I had it - thought it was allergies but did a negative RATest to be sure. My wife and son felt sick on the day we got home and we all tested positive, me only faintly, so I guess I passed it into them. 🤷‍♂️ We thought Ben and Yolanda had a case of Bali belly… on the last day, we went to the Hard Rock Cafe in Kuta - they had sliders and burgers and soft drinks (with ice for the first time). I had Balinese food and Bintang. (I only ate Balinese food - all the time). They got the runs, not me but the GP said it was probably Covid symptoms. Ben also had really bad pins and needles/numbness in his hands for at least 3 weeks. Very strange. We’ve been back 5 weeks now. Looking forward to our next trip but it looks like we’re going to Thailand first.

38D095FA-7461-42A4-A853-BC5C80CDB8B5.jpeg

30120BA2-0F6D-49C1-973B-72AA9062A5B4.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1