Is the hairtail running in Cowen creek up at Hawkesbury River?

matt1119

Hi guyz, 

I just wanna check if the hairtail is running in Cowen creek at Hawkesbury River?  I'm long way out down south and just wanna get an idea how is the condition in the river after all the flooding and the boat ramp at apple tree bay etc.

Thanks matty

11 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Matty they were biting up until the big wet set in, no reports of any for the last few weeks though and the water is still full of fresh. They were around from Feb this year in both Cowan and Newcastle

Thanks mate. You may save my 100km trip to there.  We were ready for some hairtail session..such a shame. 

4 hours ago, matt1119 said:

Thanks mate. You may save my 100km trip to there.  We were ready for some hairtail session..such a shame. 

If I hear of them starting up again I'll post it here. In years past they have turned up at all different times, so the 'season' may not be over yet

4 hours ago, slothparade said:

In going tomorrow, will let you know. Main target is Pike eel though 

Where will you launch the boat? I heard apple tree bay boat ramp is currently closed due to flooding last week. And I only went there few times on my friend boat and this time I will take my own boat up there...is the river in good condition for some fun after all the flooding? 

16 hours ago, matt1119 said:

Where will you launch the boat? I heard apple tree bay boat ramp is currently closed due to flooding last week. And I only went there few times on my friend boat and this time I will take my own boat up there...is the river in good condition for some fun after all the flooding? 

I was going to go land based. The river is full of trees and sunken crap still, so yeah. My mate wasn't to excited about the idea is potentially hitting things in the dark so yeah. 

On 7/14/2022 at 12:10 PM, slothparade said:

In going tomorrow, will let you know. Main target is Pike eel though 

Hey @slothparade- I’m sure you’ll have success with the pike eels 😉 - doubt whether the Hairtail will be biting yet, might take a few weeks for the water to clear.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

What will he do with Pike Eel?

Interesting video from Sydney Fish Markets: https://fb.watch/ehNTPZ69eg/

Apparently they are 80% muscle and therefore have higher yield than many other fish species. They also apparently fetch a good price at markets! You learn something new every day...

After watching the video with my daughter, this is her artist's impression of a pike eel:

image.png.56f4e03dfd08202258f20bf2a6beedec.png

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Interesting video from Sydney Fish Markets: https://fb.watch/ehNTPZ69eg/

Apparently they are 80% muscle and therefore have higher yield than many other fish species. They also apparently fetch a good price at markets! You learn something new every day...

After watching the video with my daughter, this is her artist's impression of a pike eel:

image.png.56f4e03dfd08202258f20bf2a6beedec.png

Love that picture that your daughter has drawn! 

I won't be running to the markets to get a pike eel for dinner though 🤢

• Haha 1

I will only use squid for bait when fishing for jew between Tom Uglies and Como to avoid Pike Eels as they love oily fish baits.  Since the heavy rains they have invaded the Bay at night and are a real pest.  Ron 

• Like 1