Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out this morning to near the lighthouse before sunrise, but only a pike and red rockie in several spots. Bugger all swell.

Moved back south of the lighthouse after sunrise and found the flatties. They were scattered, just one every now and then amongst the usual plague of spikies. Only 2 blue spot throw backs. I was happy with the size of the larger ones, then the bloody wind picked up, wind chop, white horses frothing on some waves and the drift increased, so I headed back to near the shore for only a couple of more spikies. It was a bumpy ride against the wind slop in a tinny.

Happy with that lot though, probably could have caught a couple more if the drift was slower.

fish.jpeg.361_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, frankS said:

Still not a bad haul for this time of year.

With some luck I may be able to get on the water in the next couple of weeks.

Frank

Thank you. It can only get better in the near future.

2 hours ago, adamski said:

Well done Yowie, good few feeds there! 

Thank you, a couple of feeds there are.

1 hour ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Amazing report + Awesome photos + Awestrucked by the effort

Thank you.

27 minutes ago, campr said:

I hope to try in a few days.  We will need a bit of size to make it worthwhile now the limit is reduced to 5 but a fresh feed of fish would be nice.  Ron 

The wind is coming along from Wednesday, so will make drifting a bit hard to do outside.

The 5 limit only refers to Dusky Flatties, blue spots are still a limit of 10.

6 hours ago, Yowie said:

Headed out this morning to near the lighthouse before sunrise, but only a pike and red rockie in several spots. Bugger all swell.

Moved back south of the lighthouse after sunrise and found the flatties. They were scattered, just one every now and then amongst the usual plague of spikies. Only 2 blue spot throw backs. I was happy with the size of the larger ones, then the bloody wind picked up, wind chop, white horses frothing on some waves and the drift increased, so I headed back to near the shore for only a couple of more spikies. It was a bumpy ride against the wind slop in a tinny.

Happy with that lot though, probably could have caught a couple more if the drift was slower.

fish.jpeg.361_files_files_files.jpg

Nice one yowie, what rig are used to target flatty? Thx

3 hours ago, papafish said:

Nice one yowie, what rig are used to target flatty? Thx

Snapper sinker on the bottom, with 2 droppers above. I use 3/0 longshank hooks, and 20 pound tough mono below the swivel. 

3 hours ago, Larkin said:

Good feed there Yowie, some nice fillets to come off those.

conditions were the same when I went out. Still early on, but drift and wind kept increasing throughout the morning.

Some chunky fillets. There were plenty of reef species last time I was near the lighthouse with my mate, last month, but this morning hardly a bite.  At least the flatties are still about.

A few of the larger ones had some roe, so I took home a couple and crumbed and fried them with the fillets. A different taste, but no doubt a healthy addition to a meal.

Edited by Yowie

12 hours ago, Yowie said:

Snapper sinker on the bottom, with 2 droppers above. I use 3/0 longshank hooks, and 20 pound tough mono below the swivel. 

So it’s like a pana rig? One sinker on the bottom and 2 hook above ?