Bate Bay Flathead

Larkin

Gday Raiders,

Fished the northern side of Bate Bay today. Conditions were good in the morning, but after 10am wind started to blow and water became really choppy.

Plenty of good sized Blue spots around - full of roe.
picked up 5 x 45cm+  & 1 x 35cm pinkie

Also caught a couple of 50cm barracouta, 45cm Morwong, Rock Cods, smaller flatties ect were all released. Got reefed by something of size, couldn’t turn it in time.

429DEC02-5941-4039-8022-6068B8152396.jpeg.5259224b0757e81ae431ef24e6399a37.jpeg

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 13

10 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Well done some fine fish the flathead should make top eating 

Thanks masterfisho, planning to batter some up tonight!

55 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Top feed @Larkin. Bet you and your family are eating well this weekend!

Thanks Little Flatty, will make a couple of family meals. The kids don’t like the taste of all the fish I catch, but the flatties & snapper cooked in a beer batter always go down well with them.

50 minutes ago, Yowie said:

A niced tub of fish. A good eating size for the flatties. That is where I found the blue spots during the week.

Thanks yowie, quite a few about at the moment - and of good size. These were caught in 35-40m, but did see 2-3 boats drifting out quite a bit deeper.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Larkin

hanging to get out again!

very nice sized fish there!

Thanks Rob. Can’t complain when they come up and are a decent size.

9 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great haul Mate.

Well done.

Thanks Rebel - couple of family feeds in it. 

7 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great feed mate, love the reports. Maybe a big snapper got to you?

that’s what it felt like, but can’t be sure. It was a big strike & I gave it a hard pull to try and get a good hookset - I felt the heavy weight and thumping tail kicks (said to myself this is a big fish) as it ripped line off the reel, Next thing I know I’m snagged. Drove around in a circle and got the gear back, but fish was gone.

Edited by Larkin

11 hours ago, Pickles said:

Well done @Larkin, gotta love flattie fillets.

Thanks pickles, they came up a treat. 
tried a new beer batter - was told by a chef friend to add a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of real lemon juice into the beer batter mix (along with a teaspoon of salt, plain flour and cold beer)

it came out really good. Will be using this recipe from now on.

10 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

A terrific bag of fish.

Thanks Bessel, was happy with the result.

20 hours ago, Larkin said:

that’s what it felt like, but can’t be sure. It was a big strike & I gave it a hard pull to try and get a good hookset - I felt the heavy weight and thumping tail kicks (said to myself this is a big fish) as it ripped line off the reel, Next thing I know I’m snagged. Drove around in a circle and got the gear back, but fish was gone.

Kingie maybe, or a groper? Have been reefed before with what felt like a groper.

44 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Kingie maybe, or a groper? Have been reefed before with what felt like a groper.

didn’t feel like a kingy - but it could have been a groper - had some weight behind it.