Night Fishing

AlbertW

Hey Raiders,

Im going out for dinner with family to Lavendar bay at around 7pm I'm thinking of flicking a couple of soft plastics after dinner and I've got the basics such as a warm coat and head torch but I'm looking for any other advice or tips. I'm thinking of using a glow in the dark gulp prawn but I don't know much about lure fishing at night and would love some suggestions. (I'll be fishing landbased with a light setup)

Cheers,

Albert

Edited by AlbertW

Fishing at night is kind of OK, but, most species go "to bed" lots of rubbish fish come out to eat, Pike, small Tailor, Eels and stuff like that, but one things certain, you will certainly not catch anything if you don't go!

• Like 1

Hi Albert I fish lures almost exclusively at night including lavender bay. 
The fish will find your lure even in the dark, even if not glowing, and even if not scented. 
At night there I’ve caught bream, flathead, whiting, tailor snook, wrasse and it’s also a great place for squid. 

The gulp prawn is a good choice. Biff it out, let it sink to the bottom and wait ten seconds or so. Give it a darting hop or two and wait again. Slow roll it for a while then pause again. 

The tide is going to be low, but the water there is fairly deep anyway. Fishing low tides can actually be easier as there are fewer spots to concentrate on to find fish. 
Luckily for you it’s a northeasterly tonight so it will be sheltered from the strong winds at Lavender. 

Good luck! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mike Sydney said:

Hi Albert I fish lures almost exclusively at night including lavender bay. 
The fish will find your lure even in the dark, even if not glowing, and even if not scented. 
At night there I’ve caught bream, flathead, whiting, tailor snook, wrasse and it’s also a great place for squid. 

The gulp prawn is a good choice. Biff it out, let it sink to the bottom and wait ten seconds or so. Give it a darting hop or two and wait again. Slow roll it for a while then pause again. 

The tide is going to be low, but the water there is fairly deep anyway. Fishing low tides can actually be easier as there are fewer spots to concentrate on to find fish. 
Luckily for you it’s a northeasterly tonight so it will be sheltered from the strong winds at Lavender. 

Good luck! 

I’m actually fishing there tomorrow night and I forgot to mention that haha, what type of squid jig would you use at night, just your average medium sinking rate and should I use the glow in the dark ones?

3 hours ago, noelm said:

Fishing at night is kind of OK, but, most species go "to bed" lots of rubbish fish come out to eat, Pike, small Tailor, Eels and stuff like that, but one things certain, you will certainly not catch anything if you don't go!

True haha, I’ll take whatever I can get 

23 minutes ago, eaglesilk5 said:

You could try the tiny wharf at the part of the bay closest to the train station. I have seen people fishing there before.

Cheers I might turn tomorrow into a session to catch bait if I can get anything on soft plastics 

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

Kingfish, tailor maybe squid all live around Lavender Bay.

Good luck.

Thanks rebel, I’ve seen dylanfisho and his mate catch kingfish from a school of them at lavender, I might just try for yakkas and squid tomrrow and maybe chuck out a few soft plastics

1 hour ago, maccapacca said:

Hey mate, on the topic of squid at lavender bay iv caught them their before.I was using a paternoster rig with a 2.2 jig, although a 2.5 would probably suffice just by itself.Glow in the dark or uv ones would be an added bonus, I don’t feel that it’s essential although it wouldn’t hurt as some average yamashita jigs have uv capabilities if you simply shine a torch on it.

Cheers macca, how do you use squid jigs on a paternoster rig?, I've been hearing a bit about it but don't really understand the full concept

1 minute ago, maccapacca said:

So in deeper waters like lavender bay and the piers you need some extra lead to get past the current and to the bottom.So it’s simply a sinker tied to the end of your line, then maybe 40-60cm of line then a paternoster loop with a squid jig attached.

You use a smaller jig on it as you already have the sinker (around 10g?) I usually use 2.2 or 1.8 but even a 2.5 works on it.You fish it as you would a normal jig except that it would sink faster than a average jig

Alright cheers man

Yeah I've decided on my game plan, I'll get there around 7 and go for yakkas then chuck it out for a jewie on two circle hooks and if I don't get any yakkas from the jetty I'll just have a quiet little flick with some soft plastics

• Like 1

Hope you have a good session Albert.

I don't fish much at night but I do a lot in the early morning darkness. I sometimes find that fish can be more aggressive in the dark during the day. I've had fish hit lures as I'm lifting them out of the water for the next cast, which only really happens to me in the dark.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Hope you have a good session Albert.

I don't fish much at night but I do a lot in the early morning darkness. I sometimes find that fish can be more aggressive in the dark during the day. I've had fish hit lures as I'm lifting them out of the water for the next cast, which only really happens to me in the dark.

Makes sense haha, they probably aren't that aware as they can't see you or your shadow