Some metals and lures

HawkesburyParadise

My Wife bought me a travel rod for Father's day. Maybe she wants to travel the world Fishing with me 😂

The rod itself I haven't got around to yet but the package had some assorted lures, tiny SPs and spoons.

Will these Spoons work for Tailor, etc? Any other species? They are fairly light but the hook end is on the smaller side? 

20220920_145544.thumb.jpg.10f2f697d574a9fecb58f92265915c7f.jpg

These SPs are tiny. I've added my watch face for comparison. What hook size jig would I need for these?

20220920_145639.thumb.jpg.a177adf4e5adfe425b9986fe21d56909.jpg

• Like 3

Those are pretty neat little spoons. Out of interest what travel combo was this? Ive only ever seen lures like this in America in like little multi packs and big ones sold by them selves. 

As for the soft plastics, they look to be the standard ones you get in all in one combo pack, I have a bunch of them I found on the side of the road. They work alright, not the great. I have a bunch of these tiny jig heads I found, they're like 1/24 ounce or something and tiny hook. Work alright on those soft plastics. 

As for the spoons, maybe trout on the small one and tailor and salmon on the larger ones? 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, slothparade said:

Those are pretty neat little spoons. Out of interest what travel combo was this? Ive only ever seen lures like this in America in like little multi packs and big ones sold by them selves. 

As for the soft plastics, they look to be the standard ones you get in all in one combo pack, I have a bunch of them I found on the side of the road. They work alright, not the great. I have a bunch of these tiny jig heads I found, they're like 1/24 ounce or something and tiny hook. Work alright on those soft plastics. 

As for the spoons, maybe trout on the small one and tailor and salmon on the larger ones? 

Yea she bought it off a shop owned by Bezos. It's called BlueFire so I'm not surprised it's American. 

Edited by HawkesburyParadise

As long as there's a bit of weight in those spoons to give you enough casting distance to reach the fish, they'll work for sure. Tailor and salmon would be your main targets, but you'll also catch flathead with a lift and sink retrieve or a slow wind across the flats. Back when I was a kid there was an extremely popular lure called a Wonder Wobbler that was a spoon, but had the profile of a baitfish. They accounted for thousands of good catches.

The plastics, think about lightly weighted jigheads on  a #1 or 2 size hook, even a #4 if you can find them for the smaller ones.

The pic is of a couple of Wonder Wobblers in different sizes.

Wonder Wobblers Web.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

As long as there's a bit of weight in those spoons to give you enough casting distance to reach the fish, they'll work for sure. Tailor and salmon would be your main targets, but you'll also catch flathead with a lift and sink retrieve or a slow wind across the flats. Back when I was a kid there was an extremely popular lure called a Wonder Wobbler that was a spoon, but had the profile of a baitfish. They accounted for thousands of good catches.

The plastics, think about lightly weighted jigheads on  a #1 or 2 size hook, even a #4 if you can find them for the smaller ones.

The pic is of a couple of Wonder Wobblers in different sizes.

Wonder Wobblers Web.jpg

I've heard there are a 100 year old spoon lures still made the same was as back then. Out of curiosity, Did Fish get better at recognizing them or people simply got bored of them?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HawkesburyParadise said:

I've heard there are a 100 year old spoon lures still made the same was as back then. Out of curiosity, Did Fish get better at recognizing them or people simply got bored of them?

They still all work, just peoples attitudes change. There was an old episode of Hook, Line and Sinker where one of the hosts cut the handle off a teaspoon, added a hook to the spoon part and caught a couple of rainbow trout.

I often switch to "old school" lures and do quite well. Modern day fish haven't seen these, so they're new to them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yep those spoons look the goods. Just check the hooks though and if they're blunt, get a hook sharpening stone and touch them up.

Often when I'm not convinced a lure might work, I keep it on my rod until I catch something, just out of curiosity. Invariably I do (and more often than not a tailor or a flathead, neither of which are very fussy). I haven't actually caught a fish on a wonder wobbler yet. I should set that as a goal before Christmas!

• Like 2