Weekend report from Narrabeen

Little_Flatty

Hi all,

Just spent the weekend in Narrabeen with the family. Not a huge amount of fishing but as always, managed to fit some in. We all love a good staycation. The kids like to be by the beach and having a family friendly location to stay and I of course love the chance for a change of fishing scenery.

The first session was an afternoon fly session. Burleyed up some fish with bread and tried to put a bread fly in their midst. Alas, the boils I berleyed up were just a metre or two out of my range! Lost interest after a while and just practiced casting. It was worth it as I identified a few things to work on. First, my backcast doesn't appear to be quite as strong as my forward cast. Second, I realised that if you time your actions right, it takes a lot less effort to send a fly out.

That evening we spent half an hour with the family throwing out bread baits after dinner. The kids got a little bream each, then we went to bed. Good enough for them.

The next day we had a big day out and whilst I wanted to take the kids pumping yabbies and fishing, they were just too pooped. They plopped in front of the iPad for a breather. No breather for me though...I went back out with the fly outfit and threw a crazy charlie for an hour and a half. No interest but managed noticeable improvements in my casting. I did find it hard to manage the line at my feet in the current - reminder to self to finish that DIY stripping basket I've been collecting parts for.

Finally, I managed a session this morning, the only early session I fit in the whole trip. Pumped some yabbies, fished them lightly weighted in the rising tide and got myself a nice sized sand mullet and a legal bream, which were immediately put on the BBQ and enjoyed for breakfast. Doesn't get much fresher than that! We didn't have much in the way of seasoning and it was still a flavoursome meal.

Now I'm back at home doing what feels like ten loads of washing...and washing down of gear. I'm used to only having a single lure outfit to wash down (when I actually can be bothered) but this time I had two rod holders, two kid's rods, two light outfits, my fly rod, a yabby pump, a sieve, a brag mat and a bucket to clean off! Who said family fishing was simple? :D 

For those who want to try out @DerekD's blackfish advice from his recent article, there is a veritable pile of quality green weed growing all over the lake at the moment. I wasn't allowed to take any home! There were a few luderick anglers about, not sure if they had any luck though (and sorry @DerekD, I forgot my strike indicator...which spent the weekend on my desk...).

Mike

• Like 8