No pics but cool story

DaveBM

Was fishing under Iron Cove bridge this morning (shore based) and a big group of kings were circling the pylons and coming up into the shallows. They wouldn’t have a bar of any lure I had, after 3 cycles past me with about 15 mins between. They were eating jelly prawns, and I can’t even buy small clear plastics any more for financial reasons due to tiny tailor.

Nearby is a jetty, and one of the dudes there fishing (quite successfully!) for luderick just scooped one of the kings up with his net, which was cool to see! A little undersized, so back in the drink, but incredible technique.

I saw some big ones leading the pack though, and some chunky trevs following them along.

I caught nothing at all. Frowny face. I actually had a landing net with me for a change, and could have tried this crazy nonsense if I’d thought of it!

Edited by DaveBM
  • Like 9

50 minutes ago, DaveBM said:

I can’t even buy small clear plastics any more for financial reasons due to tiny tailor.

Yep, I somehow feel that way about the tiny tailor too! You think you've got the better of them when you switch to something indestructible like Z-mans or bio-toughs, then they promptly snip you off, costing you a jighead as well as a plastic 🤣

Still, the only time I've hooked up to kings myself is with tiny 2inch plastics. I always have a big of a giggle when people rummage through my tacklebox. They see my four and five inch plastics and go 'are they for kings' and I go 'nah, they're for flatties'. Then they see my 2 inch minnows and ask 'are they for bream' and I say 'yeah, but also for kings' 🤣

• Haha 5

Good to hear some kingy schools are around.

When they’re like that chumming with a heap of burley (chopped/mushed pillies and bread) can sometimes get them on the bite.

They can also come back the next day around the same time - always worth a shot if you have a day off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Larkin said:

Good to hear some kingy schools are around.

When they’re like that chumming with a heap of burley (chopped/mushed pillies and bread) can sometimes get them on the bite.

They can also come back the next day around the same time - always worth a shot if you have a day off.

Way ahead of you. I don’t start work until 9:30 out in homebush, so another crack is on the cards!

• Like 2

If you don't mind listening to the ramblings of an old fella, here's a tip to get shy cruising kingies to fire up.  I used to use this method around the 3 legged posts and the pump barge in Botany Bay when they were there resulting in hook ups on kings an huge tailor.

Fill a couple of buckets with water and chop up a few pillies and add to one bucket.  Put a piece of pilly (or livey) on an unweighted hook and have it ready to cast.  When kings get close throw bucket with water only towards kings.  This sounds like bait fish splashing the water and kings should fire up and investigate.  immediately throw bucket with pilly pieces to add some flavor to the mix.  Now throw baited hook into middle and hopefully kings will eat bait.  Ron

• Like 3

1 hour ago, masterfisho7 said:

Great story years when i lived in Drummoyne i also heaps of Kings around the same place they would only take small white metals

I tried one of those (a discount bin $5 job though) and it got followed, but no chomping.

30 minutes ago, campr said:

If you don't mind listening to the ramblings of an old fella, here's a tip to get shy cruising kingies to fire up.  I used to use this method around the 3 legged posts and the pump barge in Botany Bay when they were there resulting in hook ups on kings an huge tailor.

Fill a couple of buckets with water and chop up a few pillies and add to one bucket.  Put a piece of pilly (or livey) on an unweighted hook and have it ready to cast.  When kings get close throw bucket with water only towards kings.  This sounds like bait fish splashing the water and kings should fire up and investigate.  immediately throw bucket with pilly pieces to add some flavor to the mix.  Now throw baited hook into middle and hopefully kings will eat bait.  Ron

Thanks! If I didn’t listen to old folks I’d know very little about fishing! My great uncle was a pro fisho out of Fremantle and Shark Bay, always solo and by hook and line. Taught me much.

Firing pelagics up with a big splash of nothing is genius though. You won’t be wasting berley or bait because you don’t even do those until they’re reacting. Today that wasn’t a problem though - they were absolutely churning in 50cm of water!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Burger said:

Have seen a mate do that before with a Salmon and they got a good few blackies on the weekend too. . . hmmmm, wonder if it was him! 😅

Very possible. 3 dudes in their 50s/60s, and their keeper net had at least one 40cm+ fish in it. Sounds like raider territory

On 10/16/2022 at 2:51 PM, DaveBM said:

Was fishing under Iron Cove bridge this morning (shore based) and a big group of kings were circling the pylons and coming up into the shallows. They wouldn’t have a bar of any lure I had, after 3 cycles past me with about 15 mins between. They were eating jelly prawns, and I can’t even buy small clear plastics any more for financial reasons due to tiny tailor.

Nearby is a jetty, and one of the dudes there fishing (quite successfully!) for luderick just scooped one of the kings up with his net, which was cool to see! A little undersized, so back in the drink, but incredible technique.

I saw some big ones leading the pack though, and some chunky trevs following them along.

I caught nothing at all. Frowny face. I actually had a landing net with me for a change, and could have tried this crazy nonsense if I’d thought of it!

Gyday Dave, i was having a chat to you when you were leaving about the jelly prawn Flies, I wasn't the one doing the netting though.

• Like 1