Crowdy head - first time fishing!

Nova91

G'day all - heading out to Crowdy head at the beginning of November. Keen to hear some feedback and recommendations for the area with respect to fishing and what to expect. 

- What species should I expect/prepare for outside of snapper?

- How is the fishing generally in early November?

- Do people generally prefer to drift or anchor whilst chasing snapper?

- Are people having better luck with a paternoster rig or running sinker?

Any other tips are welcome - including what depths to focus on :)

Thank you so much in advance! 

Spoke to a mate at Harrington today. He picked up a solid 7kg+ red recently out on the flathead drift.

I have no other reports however Marlin were being caught off Port Macquarie several weeks ago so there may be some warm water out wider - try the fads.

The lower end of the river is clearing with flathead around but I think a bit patchy.

Good luck. Would love to help but I'm off to Eucumbene for the Trout Festival..

Hoods

• Like 1

I should have added the flathead ground was in 40-50m ENE off Memaid. Caught on a strip of Bonito.

I agree with above. I favour SP's in the shallow areas north of Crowdy but there is some areas to the east & south also & flathead grounds too off the Harrington entrance. I have a photo of an 80cm red caught landbased further south a month ago so they may still be in close. And watch out for whales.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 2:03 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

I fish the shoals north of crowdy or mermaid reef  i mainly fish shallow berley n bait  there are lots of deeper reefs to drift  expect pearlies ntuskies besides reds in deeper water   kingys will be on the cards too

Thank you so much mate - would love to have a chat over the phone if possible somehow! 

On 10/20/2022 at 7:55 PM, Hoods said:

I should have added the flathead ground was in 40-50m ENE off Memaid. Caught on a strip of Bonito.

I agree with above. I favour SP's in the shallow areas north of Crowdy but there is some areas to the east & south also & flathead grounds too off the Harrington entrance. I have a photo of an 80cm red caught landbased further south a month ago so they may still be in close. And watch out for whales.

Thank you mate - highly appreciate the insights!