Outboard Engine Maintenance, COURSE

leonardgid

Hello everyone, when it comes to engine repairs  my knowledge goes as far as  changing oil and filters , and flushing  , so im looking at  doing a day course but at $400 dollars  i have to ask  if its money well spend  or not ,My  question is  , is it possible to learn al of the basic  service and repairs that they teach   by online videos instead   ?    thank you al for  your opinion 

2 hours ago, leonardgid said:

Hello everyone, when it comes to engine repairs  my knowledge goes as far as  changing oil and filters , and flushing  , so im looking at  doing a day course but at $400 dollars  i have to ask  if its money well spend  or not ,My  question is  , is it possible to learn al of the basic  service and repairs that they teach   by online videos instead   ?    thank you al for  your opinion 

You’ve got buckley’s of learning everything there is to learn about outboards in a day.At most they’ll teach you the basics,thank you very much for investing $400 with them and please come again.

You’ll learn more from gathering some tools,getting yourself a good service manual for your particular outboard,asking knowledgeable people questions and most of all from actually doing things,physicallly doing things like dismantling things,putting them back together,working out how one component Marries with another,etc,etc.

I’m surrounded by trades people from different fields and I can tell you there’s tradespeople with decades of being a tradesman below their belt that ain’t worth a pinch of 💩.I know first year apprentices that will run rings around them and labourers without trades too.

It’s up to you what’s worth it or not.If you think tossing them $400 to basically tell you what anyone with half a mechanical brain already knows go ahead.If you really want to learn start by doing what I said  and practicing as often as you can with your own boat,families,friends,etc.

cheers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

You’ve got buckley’s of learning everything there is to learn about outboards in a day.At most they’ll teach you the basics,thank you very much for investing $400 with them and please come again.

You’ll learn more from gathering some tools,getting yourself a good service manual for your particular outboard,asking knowledgeable people questions and most of all from actually doing things,physicallly doing things like dismantling things,putting them back together,working out how one component Marries with another,etc,etc.

I’m surrounded by trades people from different fields and I can tell you there’s tradespeople with decades of being a tradesman below their belt that ain’t worth a pinch of 💩.I know first year apprentices that will run rings around them and labourers without trades too.

It’s up to you what’s worth it or not.If you think tossing them $400 to basically tell you what anyone with half a mechanical brain already knows go ahead.If you really want to learn start by doing what I said  and practicing as often as you can with your own boat,families,friends,etc.

cheers.

You've saved me $400 , thanks for  your advice   very helpful.

• Like 1

What @Fab1says is gold … there is nothing like personal experience to build a foundation of understanding and confidence. The quickest way to get your head around a combustion engine is to rebuild an old lawnmower - there’s plenty on gumtree - I did my first one at 8yo - my dad gave me the “project” - best thing ever. I even had to cut gaskets out of cardboard on that one. What a feeling when it roared to life and what a practical platform from which to understand other motors. 
Once you have the basics, you’ll be able to better follow what a manual states or what experts advise. Today you are blessed with resources such as YouTube  - man I wish this was available back in the day. One site you may want to subscribe to is the following - this is the web page but it has links to the YouTube content. If the link gets removed PM me. 

https://outboard.dangarmarine.com/guide?device=2

cheers Zoran 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

What @Fab1says is gold … there is nothing like personal experience to build a foundation of understanding and confidence. The quickest way to get your head around a combustion engine is to rebuild an old lawnmower - there’s plenty on gumtree - I did my first one at 8yo - my dad gave me the “project” - best thing ever. I even had to cut gaskets out of cardboard on that one. What a feeling when it roared to life and what a practical platform from which to understand other motors. 
Once you have the basics, you’ll be able to better follow what a manual states or what experts advise. Today you are blessed with resources such as YouTube  - man I wish this was available back in the day. One site you may want to subscribe to is the following - this is the web page but it has links to the YouTube content. If the link gets removed PM me. 

cheers Zoran 

Great advice also as usual mate.

14 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

cheers Zoran 

extremely useful  link ! i have already  saved it and subscribed ,   also thank you very much for the advice, i will do what you said  with the mower , so happens that i have a spare one in the shed  that needs work to get it going again ,   and (THANK YOU FISHRAIDER!)   ! without it being here i would not be able to ask so many questions like i do !

Edited by leonardgid
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, leonardgid said:

and (THANK YOU FISHRAIDER!)   ! without it being here i would not be able to ask so many questions like i do !

Mankes your annual membership fee worthwhile!!:thumbup: