Solo launching. - how practical is it

Volitan

Hi again. Who here solo launches ? What is your boat ? And do you find your boat easy or difficult to solo launch ?

have you made any modifications for solo launch ?

just starting to plan a boat purchase.

cheers

Edited by Volitan

Solo launching depends a lot on the ramp, some are easy because of the way jetties or pontoons, or even a sandy beach are setup to leave the boat while parking or getting the car, and, how well you know your boat and trailer, some people put the trailer way too deep, others way too shallow, after some practice, it becomes easy.

The hardest part of self launching/retrieving is getting in and out of your boat.

The Trailer must be suitable for the task, this isn't always the case and trailers need to be set up properly.

Learn how deep to set the trailer, a couple of drive on/off's will quickly teach you this, for starters with most outfits I find the rear axle (if 4 wheel ) best be just under the surface of the water, this will immerse your brake pads if brakes are fitted, and same for single axle trailers.

When retrieving approach, the trailer slowly and against the current OR wind , a properly set up trailer will have a V section at the rear leading to the centre of the trailer to meet up with the centre rear roller ( if fitted ) .

I can approach the trailer from as much as 45 degrees and line the boat dead centre once the bow of the boat is captured by the V you can then straighten the boat and apply throttle to drive the boat onto the trailer.

On all my boats I have my self made catch and release device which holds the boat in place till I switch off motor tilt it up and get out of the boat.

Try practicing on a ramp whem it's not busy.

IF you need your trailer set up properly give me a shout.

Frank

• Like 1

My local ramp is a breeze, you reverse down beside a jetty, it's simple to either push the boat off and get the bow rope and pull it along the jetty, or, tie the rope to the jetty if you have to "skid" the boat off with the car, a long bow rope is needed of course. It also depends on how crowded it is, office hours on Sunday morning will be hard going on your own, but there is always someone who will hold the boat for you. A drive off/on trailer can be great if you have one, just make sure the car is properly parked/hand brake/chock/4 wheel drive and everything is undone before reversing off.......

I find retrieving takes a bit more effort than launching. I always use a ramp next to a jetty to retrieve the boat as it's much easier. Don't be in a hurry, chock up the car and have a routine to follow. Don't let other people harass you to speed up etc. Recovering a boat is something where doing it slowly is quicker, if that makes any sense.

Technology can help too. Current trailer has an powered winch, which is much appreciated given by back and heart issues these days. I'm thinking about getting a Balex system installed:

https://balexmarine.com/

It looks like it makes solo recovery pretty easy, especially on large boats. Maybe next boat.

3 hours ago, Jiggy said:

I find retrieving takes a bit more effort than launching. I always use a ramp next to a jetty to retrieve the boat as it's much easier. Don't be in a hurry, chock up the car and have a routine to follow. Don't let other people harass you to speed up etc. Recovering a boat is something where doing it slowly is quicker, if that makes any sense.

Technology can help too. Current trailer has an powered winch, which is much appreciated given by back and heart issues these days. I'm thinking about getting a Balex system installed:

It looks like it makes solo recovery pretty easy, especially on large boats. Maybe next boat.

Mate had one on his new glass boat. Boat refused to load and the thing kept turning and almost wore through the hull before he realized it was doing damage .

Frank

Plan your launch/retrieval before you even get to the boat ramp to launch or when coming in.

Ask yourself questions like which way the currents and wind are going?what stage is the tide?How shallow is it?where will you tie off?Where is the end of the ramp?Use some of these things to your advantage.

Sometimes you can help yourself by doing simple things like jack knifing trailer on ramp so back of trailer faces towards any cross current or take a few wraps of bowline around winch post to slow boat down when launching.

Another great trick in high current,high wind launching/retrieval operations is having a long launch rope attached to front and rear of boat so you can control the back end from swinging on you with one hand most times.

Even simple things like lowering rear tyre pressures a bit will give your Ute more traction as you are only a stones throw from ramp and can pump them back up when finished.

Try to park where you can always maintain a visual on your boat and always take your keys too as there’s too many dead beats around especially at ramps.I came back to my boat one night to find a bloke sussing out my trailer and I gladly obliged to help him sleep the rest of the night.

As for your question I currently have my 4.2 tinny that will self launch if I let it)As soon as I take the winch strap off she’ll be off on her own if I didn’t hold the bowline) and retrieving it is a matter of backing trailer, putting bow on rear roller then winch and basically pulling it 3/4 way up the trailer by hand then winching.

In the early 90,s I had an old 17’ cruisecraft  glass boat that was heavy and used the same methods.

I’m not a fan of drive on/off for several reasons even though i can and could before.

The key to launching any boat  as I’m sure the others will agree is prior planning and making sure your trailer is set up and all rollers are turning freely.

Good luck mate and hopefully you have many great memories during the ownership of your new boat.

Ps. if the fishing is slow or non existent blame that bloody @Yowie He’s a pest!😂

• Like 2

I launch a 5.3m side console by myself all the time and i only have use of 1 arm!

I do have a ladder on the front of my trailer and being a side console i can walk right up the front and climb down the ladder. I also have a boat catch so i drive the boat straight up and then climb down the ladder. Easy Pezy 🤣 with the correct set up that is...

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Jiggy said:

That looks amazing wow too easy :)

20 hours ago, frankS said:

Mate had one on his new glass boat. Boat refused to load and the thing kept turning and almost wore through the hull before he realized it was doing damage .

Frank

Gee that's good to know. Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers

Rob

I have a 5.6m Quinnie Classic with a 90hp Honda and mostly fish by myself.  I'm 76yo with a heart issue (currently under control ) and lung issues and have no problem launching and retrieveing. 

I launch next to a wharf at Yowie Bay and when boat starts moving I climb onto wharf and follow boat to end and tie it up.  You need a nice long bow rope to do this.  My trailer could be designed better for driving on but I  manage ok and am getting better with time and a Boat Catch was one of my better investments.  I ind it easy to climb down from the bow using trailer and spare tyre on winch pole as a ladder.  Main points are to not put trailer too far into the water so that V guides can do their job.  Don't drive on too fast but you need just enough speed to give you steerage.  Once bow is on rollers and within guides you can make adjustments to fine tune centering.

Finally, keep trailer rollers greased and rolling easily.   Mine rarely need maintenance as I made my own roller axles from stainless steel rod and boat goes on and off much more easily.  Best mod ever.  Don't be daunted by solo launch it will get easy with time and practice.  Ron 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1