30 min weekend lunch break flick - Sydney Harbour

Tommy TJ

After a short walk around the bay to grab a lunchtime coffee, the perfect weather and clear water had me itching for a flick. Despite being buried in work, I couldn't help myself and grabbed my rod to get out of the house for quick session. It always pays off keeping a couple rods rigged up for your local so you're ready to go when an opportunity presents itself (or in my case for when the procrastination overrides the rational brain).

I left the house with only a pair of pliers, my rod, and the single 2.5" pearl Slim Swimz on a 1/6th jighead. My rod of choice for bank casting for flathead is actually an 8'3 squid rod (Shimano Sephia), gets great casting distance but I think the softness of the tip might make me miss a few hookups. Would be interested to know if anybody else uses 'squidding' rods for bream/flathead fishing.

It was bang on high tide of 1.8m, so the plan of attack was to walk along the edge of the park casting and using a simple hopping retrieve. My preferred casting method for targeting flathead in this way is casting straight out for maximum distance into the deeper water, then walking sideways around 10m so that the lure is retrieved on an angle rather than perpendicular to the shoreline. My thinking here is that it allows you to cover more ground in the same amount of casts. First cast I had a solid hit on the drop, fish was on for about 5 seconds before spitting the lure. Spewing. At least I know they are biting. About 10 casts later after the lure had been on the bottom for a few seconds, I could feel something was interested. The wind was blowing in my face which was making it difficult to maintain tension and contact so I wasn't sure if there was a fish on or not. I went to reel in the slack and make another hop/strike and sure enough fish on! She put up a good fight on the light gear - 6lb leader, and I estimate low 40's in length. Pinned nicely in the lower lip so got a couple photos, popped the hook out and sent her back to the depths - or about 1ft of water. 

Hope you all can get the rod bending this weekend!

TJ

Rod: 8'3 Shimano Sephia M

Reel: Shimano Vanford 3000 with 10lb braid and 6lb fluoro leader

Lure: 2.5" Slim Swimz in pearl colour on a 1/6th Jighead (size 1 or 1/0 hook)

313021529_1187961648737623_9128070339129058151_n.jpg

312982527_850762519416230_946293603831566065_n.jpg

Edited by Tommy TJ
Tide info
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1