Sydney based experienced beach fisho needed for Youtube Vid

robthefisherman

Hey all

Been a while since I've been on here and this may be a weird request but here goes.

I’m  a content creator in the 4wd and camping space and have developed a bit of a reputation as a hopeless fisherman especially on camera . I also work for ARB so 4wdriving and camping is something I live and breath not just for fun but as a living as well.

I love fishing and would like to incorporate more of this into my vids, it just makes for better viewing if I actually catch a fish now and then and land based is something that really interests me as we don’t take a boat on most of our adventures.

We’ve got big plans for 2023 for the channel and will be heading up into the Kimberley and down the coral coast of W.A. then down into the Eyre Peninsular and I reckon a video where I learn to fish as part of the prep for our big W.A. adventure would be fantastic so I'm looking at producing a series of videos as we get ready for the trip and one i'd like to be about me learning to become a better fisherman. If there is anyone here that would like to be part of this project or even better anyone who has a fishing channel that would be open to doing a collaboration please let me know.

You can reply here or shoot me an email wewentthatawayadventures@gmail.com or via any of our socials below

We aren’t a large channel but we are certainly growing with 5000 followers and Facebook and around 420 on both Insta and YouTube which are both relatively new.

Below are links to our socials

https://www.facebook.com/wewentthatawayadventures/

https://www.instagram.com/wewentthatawayadventures/

https://www.youtube.com/c/WewentthatawayAdventuresAustralia

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Hi Rob,

I mentor several people each year to help them improve their understanding of fishing. Something I could help with.

Could break it down into several segments which you could intersperse with your growth as a fisherman.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Hi Rob,

I mentor several people each year to help them improve their understanding of fishing. Something I could help with.

Could break it down into several segments which you could intersperse with your growth as a fisherman.

Regards,

Derek

Sounds good mate, I've sent you a DM, let's catch up for a beer and discuss.

• Like 2

@robthefisherman Derek will definitely help you, get the technique and gear sorted. Might be worthwhile looking at the podcast - the Australian Lure fishing podcast as he has quite a few episodes where he interviews guest that are expert anglers along those WA stretches of coastline with the why's and hows of targeting some of the fish over there

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bennyg78 said:

@robthefisherman Derek will definitely help you, get the technique and gear sorted. Might be worthwhile looking at the podcast - the Australian Lure fishing podcast as he has quite a few episodes where he interviews guest that are expert anglers along those WA stretches of coastline with the why's and hows of targeting some of the fish over there

Cheers Benny

I'll check that out.

• 1 month later...

G’day Raiders

Had my first mentoring session with Derek yesterday and what am eye opener, I never realised there was so much science behind fishing, I got a physics lesson and a psychology lesson.

It went a little like this let’s see you tie this lure on. Yep we’ll change that

Let’s see how you hold the rod. Yep we’ll change that

Let’s see you cast, Yep we’ll change that.

It was clear after the first 15 minutes, I didn’t have a clue and that’s exactly why I reached out because after all I’m a four wheel driver that likes to fish not  fisho that likes to 4wd. But heading off to W.A. next year I wanted a red hot crack at some of the awesome species that inhabit the waters over west.

I spent 5 hours with Derek yesterday and I am absolutely blown a way with the improvement. I am casting at least 40% further and 300% more accurate just after one session, I can even cast left handed and one handed, something I’ve never done before. I gave no thought to things like bail arm positions and would frequently have the bail arm snap closed on a cast, now I give no thought to bail arm position and never have it snap shut just how I position my hand and fingers on the rod and reel.

And he is the absolute master of analogies and metaphors that just helped me make sense of why to do something a certain way or how to position the rod in my hand.

The value of having someone there to observe and critique, especially when an old bad habit would creep back in unnoticed by me but not by Derek’s eagle eye.

It blows me away just how knowledgeable and generous Derek is, to take on someone he’s never met before and give so freely of his time and knowledge. Thanks Mate.

I can’t wait for next week when we get to spend a whole day together. I reckon those fish in W.A. are feeling a little worried right now

Edited by robthefisherman
  • Like 7

21 minutes ago, robthefisherman said:

G’day Raiders

Had my first mentoring session with Derek yesterday and what am eye opener, I never realised there was so much science behind fishing, I got a physics lesson, a psychology lesson.

It went a little like this let’s see you tie this lure on. Yep we’ll change that

Let’s see how you hold the rod. Yep we’ll change that

Let’s see you cast, Yep we’ll change that.

It was clear after the first 15 minutes, I didn’t have a clue and that’s exactly why I reached out because after all I’m a four wheel driver that likes to fish not  fisho that likes to 4wd. But heading off to W.A. next year I wanted a red hot crack at some of the awesome species that inhabit the waters over west.

I spent 5 hours with Derek yesterday and I am absolutely blown a way with the improvement. I am casting at least 40% further and 300% more accurate just after one session, I can even cast left handed and one handed, something I’ve never done before. I gave no thought to things like bail arm positions and would frequently have the bail arm snap closed on a cast, now I give no thought to bail arm position and never have it snap shut just how I position my hand and fingers on the rod and reel.

And he is the absolute master of analogies and metaphors that just helped me make sense of why to do something a certain way or how to position the rod in my hand.

The value of having someone there to observe and critique, especially when an old bad habit would creep back in unnoticed by me but not by Derek’s eagle eye.

It blows me away just how knowledgeable and generous Derek is, to take on someone he’s never met before and give so freely of his time and knowledge. Thanks Mate.

I can’t wait for next week when we get to spend a whole day together. I reckon those fish in W.A. are feeling a little worried right now

Welcome back Rob its been a while since we have seen you on fishraider! I am sure you were one of our mods at one time :)

Thanks for the post on Derek. He is a gem and a wealth of knowledge on here. Glad you were able to grab some time with him. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a win/win situation rob. Beauty of this site: 1) It's still here for you to fall back on when you have a need BIG PLUS  2)You got an excellent lead to solving your needs BIG PLUS. 

I'm sure that we will all look forward to seeing what you come up with. Certain it will enhance your 4WD experiences and ultimately increase your following.

Good luck, bn

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

It was a pleasure meeting you and seeing the growth in your technique as the concepts started to sink in.

Considering the amount of information I threw at you I was glad to see you were not a quivering wreck lying in a fetal position at the end of it all.

At the rate we are going your handle of @robthefisherman will be as applicable as "RobThe4WDman".

Looking forward to blowing your mind again on the next fishing session.

Regards,

Derek

PS. I really enjoyed reading your report at the end of the first learning session.

• Like 1

Subscribed to your channel Rob! I was very interested in the tailgate seal kit and one is on the way to me ! You will end up with a masters degree in fishing if you hang around with Derek long enough 😀

• Like 1

15 hours ago, XD351 said:

Subscribed to your channel Rob! I was very interested in the tailgate seal kit and one is on the way to me ! You will end up with a masters degree in fishing if you hang around with Derek long enough 😀

Cheers mate, Thanks for the subscribe. Yeah the tailgate seal works a treat.

Day 2 of fishing school with Derek.

Wow didn't he throw some stuff at me today, we covered plastics, poppers, and stick baits, more casting and retrieves.

Must have been doing something right because I got absolutely smoked on my bream gear by what Derek estimated to be a 70 odd cm king and didn't my little sienna sing unfortunately my leader knot failed after a spirited little tussle, this resulted in me learning the FG knot over lunch. Also managed a decent Taylor also on a plastic this time on the medium gear so no problem in landing this one.

I can't believe the difference Derek's coaching has made in just a week and two sessions, I can't believe how much I've learned under his guidance. Sure there is still a long way to go but I am so much a better angler than I was just a week ago.

Had the time of my life today, I'm frothing to get out and practice my new found skills over the chrissy break, land a few fish and get myself ready to tackle some big stuff over west.

318615657_675333647328344_4248109475516673642_n.jpg

318295467_512314790869058_5576628961280521863_n.jpg

• Like 8

Sounds like a great day out @robthefisherman and it looks like the skills are coming together nicely. That sound when a king takes your lure is something to put a grin on your face, let alone landing the thing!

With fishing, there's quite a number of basic things that one needs to master before it all comes together  For instance, knot tying, casting, lure/bait selection, lure/bait rigging, working lures, location selection, tides etc and the list goes on. None of them in isolation are hard, but putting them all together is a challenge. My few experiences teaching less experienced anglers keeps on exposing how much knowledge and skills I already take for granted and I'm always finding myself running out of time! That's where @DerekD is great - he'll take the time to systematically and comprehensively take you through everything you need to know.

• Like 3

Hi @robthefisherman

It was a pleasure spending Sunday with you and considering we were at it from about 7am to 4pm it was a solid day too.

My own journey into lure fishing began with a small white grub off a sailboat moored at Balmoral beach, Mosman in the early 2000s. The silver trevally I hooked that day has been a catalyst for my fishing and others due to the trickle down effect. I was more engaged in fishing and the joy in my hobby increased exponentially.

There was a point during the day at which I turned to you and the smile on your face was gold. You got it. You were hooked. It also made all the teaching we went through worthwhile - the lunch you treated me to was a lovely bonus though.

You've reached a point at which your skills are good enough that you will grow without needing me and what you get out of it will be proportional to what you put into it.

Looking forward to seeing how your fishing journey progresses in 2023.

Regards,

Derek

PS. that video of you casting makes it look bloody effortless now.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 10:21 PM, DerekD said:

Hi @robthefisherman

It was a pleasure spending Sunday with you and considering we were at it from about 7am to 4pm it was a solid day too.

My own journey into lure fishing began with a small white grub off a sailboat moored at Balmoral beach, Mosman in the early 2000s. The silver trevally I hooked that day has been a catalyst for my fishing and others due to the trickle down effect. I was more engaged in fishing and the joy in my hobby increased exponentially.

There was a point during the day at which I turned to you and the smile on your face was gold. You got it. You were hooked. It also made all the teaching we went through worthwhile - the lunch you treated me to was a lovely bonus though.

You've reached a point at which your skills are good enough that you will grow without needing me and what you get out of it will be proportional to what you put into it.

Looking forward to seeing how your fishing journey progresses in 2023.

Regards,

Derek

PS. that video of you casting makes it look bloody effortless now.

Thanks Derek

I hope you got a break over Chrissy/New Year, I'm off to Karuah this weekend for a bit of camping, fishing and crabbing so with a bit of luck we'll get a few.

Hey all

Hope you all had a great break,

Thought I'd throw up a little teaser for the first vid I've made since Derek's expert tuition. Got a few smallish tailor and a legal bream from the oyster racks on a surface lure from the yak which was a heap of fun. All just practice for the Kimberley.

I'll post up the details of our WA trip soon and maybe some of you can throw a few tips my way.

• Like 3