Fly and lure epic

Little_Flatty

Hi Raiders,

Headed out today with @DerekD to check on my fly cast and see if we could tempt some luderick and flathead on the fly. One of my big objectives for the day was to fine tune my roll cast. For a change from my usual < 2 hour sessions, I was able to arrange to fish a good part of the day with Derek.

I started out at McMahons Pt where I began by casting a plastic around to see if there were any marauding kingfish around, but alas there were none. However, I did sight a few luderick and so I rigged up my fly rod and tied on a weed fly. Derek arrived shortly after that and after fine tuning my normal cast, started to work on my roll cast. Alas, he said my roll cast was fine, which left me quite disappointed; I have a variety of spots where my back cast is restricted. Looks like I might need to be more selective about my fly spots and also look into other methods to deal with obstructions.

It was a rather quiet morning unfortunately. I did get one down but I missed it, and we didn't see any more downs at this spot. Beautiful morning for it though.

image.png.7899afc723359b6b74801bca29d6b843.png

Next stop was Clifton Gardens, where we again looked for luderick amongst the weed beds. It was good practice for casting flies at height, but at this point, the wind really started to kick up, playing havoc with our casts. Whilst we did sight some fish, none came out to play.

A quick coffee/food stop and we made our way to Clontarf beach to learn the Oval (Belgian) cast. This cast is a slight variation on the standard fly cast, but the back and forward cast are made at different heights, to stop the larger flies from 'whipping' around. Some surface action was sighted, but we were not able to tempt any of these fish.

Next, Derek ties on a Clouser to tempt a flathead, whilst I started casting Crazy Charlies to stalk the whiting I had spotted over the flats. I got a follow, but no true hits.

The wind picks up again and Derek suggests that we go back to the car and get our luring rods, to fish the rising tide. At this point, facing a donut, I agreed. No more Mr Nice Guy; I brought my cooler backpack, complete with ice, and set out to catch some dinner! Derek opted to try surface lures for whiting whilst I probed the drop off with a 3-inch gulp jigging shrimp rigged on a #1 1/6 oz jig head. About 10 mins in, I felt a 'thunk' at the end of my line and when I struck, I felt a pleasing amount of weight on the end of the line, coupled with some headshakes. After a spirited fight, the culprit emerged: 

image.png.deb21b4e1d4dd5a885abb3dcb55025bd.png

We fished on for a little longer for no further fish. Derek moved on to fish the high tide at Five Dock, but for me, it was time for me to head home.

This evening, my family had a nice feed of fresh flattie fillets and wings, plus garlic prawns.

Though we had a slow day fishing-wise, it was great to get out with Derek for the day and improve my fly casting further. I am hoping to return in the coming weeks with some reports of Parramatta river flathead caught on fly. It was always my goal to target the species which I was most experienced at luring, and I now have the skills to pursue this plan in earnest.

A big thanks goes to Derek for his tutoring and company today. A thoroughly enjoyable day.

Mike

• Like 18

Not too sure you ever stop learning fly fishing. There is a guy near me that has been doing it for years and years (back in the 70s that I know of, but, probably before) and he still practices different "things" He has given me plenty of tips, but I am still pretty bad at it, but, I really enjoy it for some reason, can't really explain it.

• Like 1