Most suitable tinny!

bookwa

I’m appealing to the superior knowledge of fellow raiders to point me in the right direction for boat choice. Parameters are 12-14’ , single four stroke, plus electric motor with mount inbuilt, purpose is fishing and crabbing in Pittwater and the Hawkesbury.  Aluminium preferred but open to suggestions.  A removable floor for stability and comfort would be good.   Many thanks!

Probably any number of boats will fit that description, best value (if buying new) would be one of the Telwater offerings, as in Quintrex, Stacer or Savage, all can be ordered with a bow mount for an electric and available in many sizes and motor options. Lots of second hand boats around, but most are near new price because of long wait times for anything new, unless you can find one in stock that you like.

• Like 1

Thanks Dunc333.  Interesting, never considered a poly before so will do some research on that.  Maybe just a bit big ,that one and what is the thinking these days on engine hours.  This one I would think getting ready to replace but I’m not experienced on modern four strokes.  Could be that it’s got heaps of life left in it.  The unit looks great though, thanks for the heads up.

cheers

If the outboard has been maintained and not mistreated (over revved, run hot - cooked etc) then it has heaps of life. Get a mechanic to check compression and gear operation.  Lots of outboards with 1000hrs+ on them going strong. Google that particular motor/model for typically reported probs and if there is a known recommended fix.  Factor that into your decision and negotiation. 
Alternatively if you like everything else, sell that outboard and repower. 
It’s unlikely you will find everything exactly as you wish it on a 2nd hand vessel. 
cheers Zoran

ps- the Swordies run a poly and love it. Reach out if you have any questions. 

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

If the outboard has been maintained and not mistreated (over revved, run hot - cooked etc) then it has heaps of life. Get a mechanic to check compression and gear operation.  Lots of outboards with 1000hrs+ on them going strong. Google that particular motor/model for typically reported probs and if there is a known recommended fix.  Factor that into your decision and negotiation. 
Alternatively if you like everything else, sell that outboard and repower. 
It’s unlikely you will find everything exactly as you wish it on a 2nd hand vessel. 
cheers Zoran

ps- the Swordies run a poly and love it. Reach out if you have any questions. 

You always have great advice mate.