Botany Bay Flathead

adkel53

First flathead luring trip for this spring and first report for a long time. I had to drop my wife at the airport this morning so decided to hook up the boat and have a fish too. I left Mutch St ramp at about 8.15 and had a lure in the water by 8.30. Hooked a 43 cm model second cast, followed soon after by a 39 which went back. After 20 minutes I had another 43 (kept) and a 40 (released). They were on fire! Then I brought in a 79 cm model. Cheering!! All these on a Zmann 3" Minnowz in the black gold colour. A small tailor then bit me off so I swapped to my second rigged rod which had a Zmann Baby Goat in the watermelon colour attached. A 55 and a 52 soon joined the two in the ice box, then a 70 cm model decided to jump on for a tug of war. It was released at 9.50 am and then it was as if someone turned off the switch - not another touch. High tide was at 10 am and it was big one of 2.0 metres. It seems as if the bite shut down as the tide was about to turn. I persisted for another hour and a half, trying another couple of locations but no dice. I was fishing an area that had a nice drop off from a sandy area into 2-3 metres of water and using 3/8th and 1/4 oz jigheads. The fish were close to the edge of the area where the drop off began. Hard to get a decent photo when fishing solo so I haven't included one.

• Like 13

A nice bag of flatties, some of good size. As you found, flatties quite often sit on the edge of the drop-off into deeper water - inexperienced fishos tend to throw right over the top of the flatties into deeper water and miss the action.

10 hours ago, adkel53 said:

First flathead luring trip for this spring and first report for a long time. I had to drop my wife at the airport this morning so decided to hook up the boat and have a fish too. I left Mutch St ramp at about 8.15 and had a lure in the water by 8.30. Hooked a 43 cm model second cast, followed soon after by a 39 which went back. After 20 minutes I had another 43 (kept) and a 40 (released). They were on fire! Then I brought in a 79 cm model. Cheering!! All these on a Zmann 3" Minnowz in the black gold colour. A small tailor then bit me off so I swapped to my second rigged rod which had a Zmann Baby Goat in the watermelon colour attached. A 55 and a 52 soon joined the two in the ice box, then a 70 cm model decided to jump on for a tug of war. It was released at 9.50 am and then it was as if someone turned off the switch - not another touch. High tide was at 10 am and it was big one of 2.0 metres. It seems as if the bite shut down as the tide was about to turn. I persisted for another hour and a half, trying another couple of locations but no dice. I was fishing an area that had a nice drop off from a sandy area into 2-3 metres of water and using 3/8th and 1/4 oz jigheads. The fish were close to the edge of the area where the drop off began. Hard to get a decent photo when fishing solo so I haven't included one.

I have seen the baby goat in the shops and was curious as to how it would be fished, do you just hop it like you would with the minnows?

6 hours ago, Bennyg78 said:

I have seen the baby goat in the shops and was curious as to how it would be fished, do you just hop it like you would with the minnows?

It was my first time using them and I did the same as I do with the 3" Minnowz. Hop, hop and drop to the bottom. Have a look on the Tackle Tactics website for a video on using them. I get their weekly newsletter which I find very informative. I have just purchased two packs of the new Zmann Prawnz. They look the goods for flathead , bream etc. Looking forward to trying them out.