Appletree To West Head

bluefin

Launched at Appletree at 5 30 am today and ran down to West Head, across to Patonga and back into the Hawksbury.

Lots of baitfish all the way down, but only tiny Tailor feeding on them. From Flint and Steel to just inside West Head there are Frigate Mackrel 40 to 45 cm feeding on the baitfish and taking 8 to 10 gram metals on the troll.

Inside the Hawksbury we drifted the flats on the east side for a few just legal flatties.

We wanted Tailor, but coudn't find them. Didn't see an arch on the sounder all day!

Howard.

I had a great session on Sat night - avoided the car park at Flint and Steel and Juno and went over near Lion Island. Live slimeys were lasting about 2 mins before being smashed by whalers - must have hooked at least 8, one of which gave me a good run around on 15kg before biting me off. I was kept busy with the livies, the other guys in the boat bait fishing were getting smoked by big tailor - didnt end up landing one, were biting off everything but brought home a beaut bream.

When it got dark moved up to Elanor Bluff for 3 pike eels but had a yakka eaten but missed it. Then moved to yeomans bay were my last yakka got smashed again and bitten off behind the back of the head (tailor again). My mate got smoked again on a slimey strip by something that ran a good 40m.

There were also schools of tailor feeding in Careel Bay in the afternoon but moving to quick and solitary kings or salmon boofing away near barrenjoey but I couldnt tepmt them with plastics, metals or trolled rapalas, should have tried a skirt.

The run back to Bayview in the rain was nasty though.

Cheers

Ben

"avoided the car park at Flint and Steel"

It was like that early morning, the water was like a washing machine. I hate rough water like that, so we kept on trolling. Only stopped when we hooked a frigate.

Howard.

Edited by bluefin