Mullet mug

Pickles

19 hours ago, noelm said:

Are you talking poddies for bait, or bigger ones?

Hi Noel, either - I’ve never put down a trap for poddies and only ever caught one mullet fishing for herring, so an absolute mug. - Any advice gladly accepted.

OK, you can buy a trap, or make your own, those long cylindrical ones with a funnel entrance at each end work a treat, as do old Oyster bottles, if you can find any. Look for a sand flat covered by about a foot or so of water at high tide, put some bread in the trap and a rock to keep it on the bottom, then stand well back and watch it, chances are you will get Poddies around in a few minutes, avoid any floating bread burley, it will attract birds that keep the Mullet away. When the tide is low, you will find them in small holes and channels with a couple of feet of water, try a few different spots until you find a reliable location, they are easy to catch.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, noelm said:

OK, you can buy a trap, or make your own, those long cylindrical ones with a funnel entrance at each end work a treat, as do old Oyster bottles, if you can find any. Look for a sand flat covered by about a foot or so of water at high tide, put some bread in the trap and a rock to keep it on the bottom, then stand well back and watch it, chances are you will get Poddies around in a few minutes, avoid any floating bread burley, it will attract birds that keep the Mullet away. When the tide is low, you will find them in small holes and channels with a couple of feet of water, try a few different spots until you find a reliable location, they are easy to catch.

Cheers Noel, I’ll give it a go

4 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi @Pickles

When I saw the topic Mullet Mug I thought it sounded really interesting.

The thing is the pictures in my head were along the lines of these ones....

Mullet the Mullet Bring It Back Funny Mullet Mug Business - Etsy Australia

Striped Mullet

pd.38487057.171.604537.s3.1-front-white-ffffff-none-x4y0-192-800x800.jpg

Mullet-Lifestyle

Haha Derek, maybe we could get one other a Fishraider sticker on it.

• Like 1

Hi Bob although this isn't in relation to Berowra specifically we used to do a fair bit of fishing for Mullet, both as teenagers and later when land based game came into the picture. When fishing for Mullet in the upper reaches of the Georges River (particularly around Landsvale) we used to use small Luderick style floats, set about 4ft deep with the lead (sheet-lead) about a foot above a size 8 bronzed treble and fresh white bread squeezed on to almost hide the treble completely. The float would go up and down a couple of times before disappearing totally and we'd strike hard. If you fished shallower you got much smaller Mullet. 

We used to stand on old car doors in the water (it was really muddy) and consistently catch plenty of good sized Mullet. Quite often when there were about 8-10 young blokes fishing there in the afternoons and you had to watch for flying floats as some of the common ones used were aluminium stemmed and became 'missiles' that often stuck in the muddy bank behind where we stood.

Closer to home, around the bay at Fivedock we fished same way, same depth with the only difference being a size 6 suicide was used instead of the treble as these were kept alive for use as bait the next day, whereas the Landsvale ones were caught for fillet bait.

Around the Harbour we've caught plenty on mince while Yakka fishing around Leichhardt and bacon fat with the rind on is also extra good sometimes. Of a night we've found they go for the floating bread but they don't like getting too close to the boat/wharf. @kingfish101 is probably the guy to chat with re Berowra Mullet

• Like 6

On 11/30/2022 at 5:43 PM, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Bob although this isn't in relation to Berowra specifically we used to do a fair bit of fishing for Mullet, both as teenagers and later when land based game came into the picture. When fishing for Mullet in the upper reaches of the Georges River (particularly around Landsvale) we used to use small Luderick style floats, set about 4ft deep with the lead (sheet-lead) about a foot above a size 8 bronzed treble and fresh white bread squeezed on to almost hide the treble completely. The float would go up and down a couple of times before disappearing totally and we'd strike hard. If you fished shallower you got much smaller Mullet. 

We used to stand on old car doors in the water (it was really muddy) and consistently catch plenty of good sized Mullet. Quite often when there were about 8-10 young blokes fishing there in the afternoons and you had to watch for flying floats as some of the common ones used were aluminium stemmed and became 'missiles' that often stuck in the muddy bank behind where we stood.

Closer to home, around the bay at Fivedock we fished same way, same depth with the only difference being a size 6 suicide was used instead of the treble as these were kept alive for use as bait the next day, whereas the Landsvale ones were caught for fillet bait.

Around the Harbour we've caught plenty on mince while Yakka fishing around Leichhardt and bacon fat with the rind on is also extra good sometimes. Of a night we've found they go for the floating bread but they don't like getting too close to the boat/wharf. @kingfish101 is probably the guy to chat with re Berowra Mullet

Cheers Waza.

On 12/2/2022 at 10:18 PM, jeffb5.8 said:

I have just made my first Poddy Mullet trap using a Sistemer container with a 60mm hole in the lid.

will try it out Sunday / Monday and let you know

was going to try around the ramp at Rydalmere. 

Haven’t heard of a “Sistemer” container - is this a brand or style?

On 11/30/2022 at 4:47 PM, Pickles said:

Cheers Noel, I’ll give it a go

10 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Bob, I think Jeff means the brand ‘sistema’ that is available in supermarkets. Like these:

image.png.0e69a4978a29a80d7ea803f304cd5582.png

Many thanks - got one at Big W today - what size hole would you suggest for poddies (I assume it is in the lid, not sides.)