lowdown on a bit of land based fishing near to Hunter Valley please

big Neil

Hi folks. I will be heading up to Hunter Valley for a few days over Christmas. Anyone suggest somewhere to take 2 of the grand kids for a spot of fishing? Getting in early so I can have enough gear for all to fish. Will probably need some major adjustment to my usual tackle. Thanks in advance. bn

Hi Neil, Take em to the biggest lake in the southern hemisphere - Lake Macquarie and walk them around the edges chasing Flatties or floats for mullet.

The Hunter will be problematic with little'uns.

Beaches will require some walking so not that great. Swansea/Belmont have good access (and coffee/ice creams)

Prove me wrong

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Somewhere near Pokolbin?? I haven't really spent much time in the HV, so know little about it.

bn

head over to Lake St clair, good spot for land based fishing with kids, have taken mine there a few times, 

kids caught plenty of catfish and bass on baits of the bank at the main camp area, used worms we took with us and freshwater mussels we gathered from the weed in ankle deep water

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

head over to Lake St clair, good spot for land based fishing with kids, have taken mine there a few times, 

kids caught plenty of catfish and bass on baits of the bank at the main camp area, used worms we took with us and freshwater mussels we gathered from the weed in ankle deep water

3 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

Thanks Dave. Just checked it out and it's only an hour away, so it's ideal. Running sinker to a swivel be alright for worms or use a paternoster rig? 10 lb line be ok? bn

Neil. water level is above 100 percent at the moment, this as you would know could drop by Xmas.

If you look on google maps at the lake it shows an old version of the lake which at my guess would be less than 70 percent of capacity the banks would be much easier to fish at a higher level with grass going all the way to the waters edge.

I will send you what is my opinion of the best locations that the kids will have the best chance of catching some good bass and other species via PM as the time gets closer .

As said before I can lend you plenty of gear for the kids and yourself if needed, I have around 500 bass hard bodied lures and heaps of packets of soft plastics so don't be shy about borrowing enough gear to see you through.

One tip about worms, IF bought elsewhere other than around the lakes foreshore take them out of the soil they come in and dig some earth close by the lake bank and put them in this a good 3-4 hours before using them, best over night if you are there long enough.

There is camping with toilets and showers at the camp site. A fee is charged but it is reasonable.

If I wasn't going to Bermagui over Xmas I would meet you there with boat and we could all fish from a boat but alas my plans are to go to bermi the week prior to Xmas and stay 3-4 days, home for Xmas of coarse.

Frank

• Like 1

4 hours ago, frankS said:

Neil. water level is above 100 percent at the moment, this as you would know could drop by Xmas.

If you look on google maps at the lake it shows an old version of the lake which at my guess would be less than 70 percent of capacity the banks would be much easier to fish at a higher level with grass going all the way to the waters edge.

I will send you what is my opinion of the best locations that the kids will have the best chance of catching some good bass and other species via PM as the time gets closer .

As said before I can lend you plenty of gear for the kids and yourself if needed, I have around 500 bass hard bodied lures and heaps of packets of soft plastics so don't be shy about borrowing enough gear to see you through.

One tip about worms, IF bought elsewhere other than around the lakes foreshore take them out of the soil they come in and dig some earth close by the lake bank and put them in this a good 3-4 hours before using them, best over night if you are there long enough.

There is camping with toilets and showers at the camp site. A fee is charged but it is reasonable.

If I wasn't going to Bermagui over Xmas I would meet you there with boat and we could all fish from a boat but alas my plans are to go to bermi the week prior to Xmas and stay 3-4 days, home for Xmas of coarse.

Frank

Thanks for all the info Frank. I don't even know if they will want to go but I definitely would like to wet a line somewhere, if at all possible. When they used to come here for Xmas we would all go fishing from the bank. Last time was about 4 years ago and I hardly ever see them any more. I was just looking at giving their parents a break and having a fish myself.

Please let me know any updated info as time gets closer Frank, then I can be best prepared if it happens. Any interest in your boat yet? I'll let you know when I'm travelling to Sydney and I may be able to call in on the way...probably 20th Dec at this stage if you're still at home. Got some Drs appointments to sort out first. Thanks, Neil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Neil. Boat has been sold, got my asking price and still have the bow mount electric motor and battery. I can use it on my next boat project which is the Quintrex that's down in the back yard.

Frank

Well done Frank, that's great news. Keeping the motor and battery will always be a good move. Cheers, Neil

48 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Hi Neil, I’ll pm you, but your welcome to several of my rods and reels - (the grandkids can keep them as I have 118 now 🤪).

You've got more tackle than our local fishing shop Bob...lucky that Julie is very understanding. Speak soon. Neil

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, big Neil said:

Thanks Dave. Just checked it out and it's only an hour away, so it's ideal. Running sinker to a swivel be alright for worms or use a paternoster rig? 10 lb line be ok? bn

running sinker to swivel worked fine when I was last there 

10lb will be fine 

• Thanks 1