Botany

frankS

Tried the bay again today, early start just as the sun was coming over the horison, once again headed straight for the weed beds off kurnell
same as the other day, could not catch a Squid for the life of me, must be doung something wrong.
Drifted over the drop off in Yarra and picked up some nice little Flats 4 in total between about 45-50cm each didn't measure them as I feel 
IF you have to measure a fish it's too small to keep.
Kept drifting the 16 metre drop off and picked up a further 8 Tailor around the 40cm mark all keepers so my mate will be stoking up the BBQ
and alfoil for a Tailor feed or two.
Sorry again no photos as I didn't bother getting the camera out.
Enjoyable day with some good eating flesh for a bit of a change.
Hardly used the electric as this was a fishing day not a toy playing day.
Frank

• Like 9

The Squid are completely avoiding any offers i present to them. Thye only thing I didn't try was the old-fashioned spike but next time it will be the first thing in the water.

There were a few small throw backs during the day but it was good to see nice sized fish come aboard for a change.

Frank

• Like 2

2 hours ago, noelm said:

Some fish are OK when "just legal" like (say) a Whiting, but, Flathead, Bream and Blue Swimmer crabs are not worth keeping at just legal size (in my opinion)

I agree as well, the legal size for some bread and butter species such as tarwhine, bream trevally are a bit too low. 

7 hours ago, frankS said:

Tried the bay again today, early start just as the sun was coming over the horison, once again headed straight for the weed beds off kurnell
same as the other day, could not catch a Squid for the life of me, must be doung something wrong.
Drifted over the drop off in Yarra and picked up some nice little Flats 4 in total between about 45-50cm each didn't measure them as I feel 
IF you have to measure a fish it's too small to keep.
Kept drifting the 16 metre drop off and picked up a further 8 Tailor around the 40cm mark all keepers so my mate will be stoking up the BBQ
and alfoil for a Tailor feed or two.
Sorry again no photos as I didn't bother getting the camera out.
Enjoyable day with some good eating flesh for a bit of a change.
Hardly used the electric as this was a fishing day not a toy playing day.
Frank

Good onya Frank. I'm really pleased that you're getting back on the water...just reward for all the effort you have put into getting the boat and trailer ready to use.. A few nice feeds of fresh fish thrown in...bonus.

Cheers, Neil

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 4:20 PM, noelm said:

Some fish are OK when "just legal" like (say) a Whiting, but, Flathead, Bream and Blue Swimmer crabs are not worth keeping at just legal size (in my opinion)

I totally agree. I reckon that NSW Fisheries should have upped the minimum size of flathead to 40 cm when they recently changed the upper size and possession limits. Whiting 30, bream 30, snapper 35, luderick 30 too. It would only take a couple of years and we would all be catching better quality fish as a result.

• Like 1

I think size limits are set on "scientific" data relating to fish size when able to spawn/breed, while a bigger limit might help, the current sizes are deemed to be suitable for continued sustainability. It's up to the individual to take a just legal fish or not, I personally don't, under normal circumstances, but, now and then, fishing can be tough, so a just legal fish/crab might be kept for a meal. Skinny fish like a Bream return very little flesh when just on legal size, so it's a personal thing (in my opinion)