Bottom bashing gear advice

Berrero

Hey Raiders,

Going on a deep sea fishing charter this weekend for my work christmas party (woohoo!)

I've been on my fair share of deep sea charters, but this time I thought I'd be one of 'those people' and bring my own gear, mostly because my heavier setups are yet to be broken in properly.

Having cut my teeth fishing ultralight in the estuaries the past few years, and the fact I haven't ever been bottom bashing with my own gear, I just wanted to put out there what I was thinking of taking along and then seeing what people think.

I was thinking of bringing my slammer 4500, currently spooled with 30lb braid with a 20lb or 30lb fc leader. I know most charters run a lot heavier line but I'm thinking (hoping) it's not really needed and is just a bit of protection for newer fishos / less gear lost to snags. Or should I really be running 50lb+?

I don't really have any 'boat' rods, but I'm thinking my 5-10kg TD zero would be able to cut it - my only concern is the 28g cast rating. I know I won't be casting off the boat out deep but I'm thinking the snapper lead on its own might be a bit of a strain on the rod - not as it's dropping, but the constant up/down throughout the day. Considering to maybe bring some surf pyramid sinkers as a bit of a middle ground, but then drop times would be increased, really unsure here.

I'm hoping to also throw a few lures around while I'm out there - some bigger 4-5" soft plastics (should I bother with anything other than a jerk shad style if I'm only going to be vertically fishing or would paddle tails still have enough action that deep?) and what weights would people recommend? would something like a 1/2 ounce jighead be heavy enough? Are smaller 2-3" plastics any use that deep? should I even bother with anything that small?

Also thinking of bringing some bigger soft vibes, but again, worried about the sink rate being too slow to be feasible. 

If anyone could offer any sort of advice that would be awesome. I guess what I'm mostly curious about is if I should even bother bringing my own gear, or would my rod weight rating / lighter line be an issue dropping big sinkers all day. 

Obviously not chasing big mackerel or anything just expecting the usual reef mix, but thought it would be a bit more special to finally break in some of my heavier gear.

Thanks in advance all, TIGHT LINES

How lucky are you to be charter fishing on your Christmas party? Just an observation, but I'd be more worried about tangling everybody up if you fish TOO LIGHT for the conditions. Half a dozen other lines is going to present problems if you try soft plastics/lures, etc.

You may be better off just falling in with what everyone else is doing. Don't let what I have said ruin your experience though...just consider all the pros and cons and enjoy yourself...you lucky so and so.

Tight lines, bn

20lb braid is usually the best choice for bottom fishing. The lighter you go the easier it is to hold bottom when drifting. It is plenty strong enough for snapper, mowies etc. Maybe just use the boats gear for bottom fishing and bring your outfit for lures. By the way 1/2 oz won't be nearly heavy enough to reach the bottom. I use 60-80g inchicu jigs for that sort of fishing. 

3 inch plastics too small, 5 or 6 inch at least. In the deep, it is eat or be eaten, so bigger jigs and baits. Fish are not as fussy in deeper water, grabbing almost anything that swims past.

I have fished on charters, all around the 40 or 50 pound mark line. In the deep, the line size is not as critical as shallow water. I use 20 pound braid for flattie drifting off shore, however, if drifting in deeper water, you could hook anything of size that wants to pull you overboard.

Another thing, trebles on lures in deep water cause more tangles with your neighbour, so you do not want to be tossed overboard to swim back home. 🤣

• Like 1