First cast syndrome

noelm

I walked over to the beach this morning, armed with my spin rod and one small metal lure. First cast, a Tailor about 3/4 of a kg tossed it back, then I cast until my arms were sore, the reel was squeaking and not one hit, follow hookup or anything, how often does that happen? I was thinking of Tailor for lunch.

Edited by noelm
Typo
  • Haha 4

Yep, did similar a while back down at Sussex. Nice fish first cast, released, then walked the entire beach for nothing.

There was a guy bait fishing a nice looking hole, so I walked on by. Just as I was about to leave I noticed him packing up, so I scampered down and luckily got 2 in 2 casts.

Nothing beats fresh, smoked tailor for lunch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Yep, did similar a while back down at Sussex. Nice fish first cast, released, then walked the entire beach for nothing.

There was a guy bait fishing a nice looking hole, so I walked on by. Just as I was about to leave I noticed him packing up, so I scampered down and luckily got 2 in 2 casts.

Nothing beats fresh, smoked tailor for lunch.

Funny, I was going to smoke two and have one fresh, filleted, a bit of salt, pepper and a smear of butter then under the grill for lunch....now it's Ham a  sandwich 

• Like 2

Just as a side note, every afternoon the baitfish are schooling up in the entrance of Little Lake and the Tailor are coming in to terrorise them, in about 150mm of water when they get in a frenzy, going over to wait for them today, they get about an hour later every day as the tide time changes. Hopefully my three fresh ones will still be a reality!

• Like 1

Yep, true, no idea what they are doing here, but then.....the water is not exactly tropical either, it was pretty icy on my feet. The fish are mainly "normal" size, about 700g to a KG, but in between them is some really good ones around 3KG which is a decent Tailor in anyone's book.

Edited by noelm
Added something
  • Like 1

Since they booted the pros out of St Georges Basin, with all the baitfish tailor have taken up residency and can be caught all 12 months of the year with some truly huge fish among them. Not what you’d call common, but a dozen or so 7kg plus fish are caught every year.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Since they booted the pros out of St Georges Basin, with all the baitfish tailor have taken up residency and can be caught all 12 months of the year with some truly huge fish among them. Not what you’d call common, but a dozen or so 7kg plus fish are caught every year.

Big choppers at that size. I imagine they would fight hard at that size.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yowie said:

Noel, I always keep the first one or 2 tailor, then can release after that. Same applies to most other fish.

Yep, that's what I should have done.....but I was expecting a few and hoping for a big one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Big choppers at that size. I imagine they would fight hard at that size.

They go like hell, especially if you hook one on bream gear and the jumps are a bonus. They often hit a lure that hard, even with almost no drag, they’ll snap the light line on impact.

I learnt early in the game if you want to keep one, cut and crack their necks before putting them in the keeper net. Live fish will bite through it and escape LOL.

• Like 5