Bass on fly

I've been wanting to try fly fishing for ages, and a couple of weeks ago I finally bought a fly rod combo. For the last 2 weeks I've been practicing my casting in the back yard, and I finally decided (found the courage) to head to the local this morning and try it on the water.

Tied on a dry fly and started casting. Somewhat surprisingly I didn't get myself into a massive tangle and managed to get some decent length. Had a few small herring hitting the fly but none hooked up. Finally got a better take, set the hook and wahoo! Fish on! Nice little 20ish cm bass. Unfortunately I dropped it as I lifted it out of the water. Still felt great though!

A couple of casts later and up comes a 30cm model, which I landed. Also got a small herring.

Absolutely stoked at the success on my first attempt. I think the fly rod will feature quite heavily in my reports from here forward 😁

20221217_104633.jpg

20221217_064114.jpg

Edited by R E G I C Y C L E
  • Like 10

Nice work @R E G I C Y C L E!

I've started on my fly journey too, but haven't found my local fish taking flies as readily as lures. Good fun!

I have heard those Nepean Herring are enthusiastic fly takers. The few I have encountered are absolutely psycho, eating anything that moves (and a lot more that doesn't), so I'm hardly surprised.

• Like 1