Hot bite but frustrating session

Little_Flatty

Morning Raiders,

Before the silly season gets into full swing for my family, I thought I'd steal down to Meadowbank for a cast. I've just gone through a sustained period of fishlessness, owing to my focus on developing my fly casting skills of late (story for another day, it's been a fun journey). Today I actually wanted to catch something!

Got down at the water at 6am and started casting with a 4 inch gulp minnow, rigged weedless. It didn't take me long to hook up to what felt like a good flathead, but it fell off. Then next cast, hooked up again, then dropped. Then again!

After that, it quieted down for a few casts, then I finally connected to a reasonable fish. A 46cm flathead:

image.thumb.png.1e48d1410d09d80406a1aa823d2a309c.png

Put it back after taking this shot. I cast on until 7am, for several more hookups to decent fish, but no further landings. This could've been a hot session!

The problem I had was that I didn't have a big enough hook (1/0) for the gulp minnow to get decent hook exposure (also I should mention the snags dictate that I have to fish weedless in this spot). I really should have had a 2/0, but that's life. If I did, I could've caught ten in this session, but alas, it wasn't to be! I was glad to get my fishing fix in.

Mike

• Like 15

Still some action is better than none!
it’s either you go light or you end up taking the kitchen sink too - always a delema with what gear to take with you. When you don’t bring - it’s when you need it.

Nice flatty though! Well done mike 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Larkin said:

Still some action is better than none!
it’s either you go light or you end up taking the kitchen sink too - always a delema with what gear to take with you. When you don’t bring - it’s when you need it.

Nice flatty though! Well done mike 👍

Thanks Larkin, I certainly like to pack light, but I might have pushed it too far in this case 😎 I also don't fish four inch minnows much, I normally fish smaller than that.

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Nice going Mike. There’s something about that Gulp scent that flatties love.

Regarding the jig heads, you never stop learning mate and at least you’ll be armed and dangerous next time.

Thanks Pete. The flatties do love their gulps. I use them when I want guarantees. I will be on the lookout for some bigger hooks in the days to come!

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Nice flathead.

Carry more lures with you. You haven't got enough lures.

Well done.

Cheers.

Thanks Rebel. I will tell my wife that I have it on good authority that my lure collection leaves much to be desired 🤣

19 minutes ago, Bennyg78 said:

Good job Mike,

might have to join you at meadowbank one morning 

It's time for the Meadowbank Challenge that I've been talking to @DerekD and @Mike Sydney about. Let's get through the silly season then make it happen.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...