Brown Trout Bonanza

Part one of report from 23/12

An early wrap up of work meant I could dedicate a full day to trout fishing. Headed over the Mountains early to try and catch the morning bite on the streams.

Arrived at my favourite section of the Fish River around 7am. Water was low and crystal clear, with a eesident platypus cruising around. Took a few minutes for the first fish, which was a pb brown of 41cm. Also got a mid 40s rainbow, and a small redfin before moving on.

Moved on to a new spot, very skinny water and super snaggy. First cast was into a tiny back water, and had a follow from a chunky brown. I decided to move on rather than spook him, and try again on the way back to the car. First fish on was a solid rainbow, but he flicked hooks at the bank. Worked the banks (and brambles) for a good hour and landed a small brownie, then made my way back to the original pool. A couple of casts, and whack! Watched him eat the lure literally a metre from my feet. After a short aerial display I was stoked to get him in the net. By far the healthiest trout I've ever caught, a good 60mm across the shoulders. Came in at 44.5cm, another pb! (2nd and 4th pic)

Third stream for the morning quickly produced yet another brown, 39cm. Engulfed the lure and was bleeding badly so into the esky it went. Found a nice deep pool and cast into a particularly fishy looking spot. Sure enough, the line takes off and the drag screams. Knew it was a great fish from the solid headshakes and runs. Finally got it in the net, with the lure barely pinned. Measured 46cm, 3rd pb breaker for the day, and the biggest trout iver ever caught.

Left the streams around 12pm. Dad and a mate got 2 rainbows and 3 brown's between them. One of my best days on the water, simply due to the quality of fish.

Some tips that were reinforced to me during this session. One, big trout sit can sit in very little water, especially if they are actively feeding. Two, don't be shy to use brightly colored lures in skinny/fast water, I've found it encourages instinctive bites.

Moved on to Oberon Dam for the afternoon for a feed of reddies, but that's for another report 😁

20221223_083151.jpg

20221223_112441.jpg

Edited by R E G I C Y C L E
  • Like 2