Whiting and Dart Port Stephens

FishyMcFishFace

Hi hope everyone had a merry fishmas!  Long time no post.

Headed to a Salamander Bay B&B for a Xmas break for 3 nights.  Pumped some nippers Xmas eve. We brought the fold up boat so we launched early Xmas day from Taylor's Beach, during a rising tide.. tried for flatties along that area and around some oyster racks. I was on lures she was using the bait. No luck on the lures, she landed a couple of whiting one good size one and an undersized and  a decent  flathead. I hear there was a good deep spot to drop a bait near soldiers point. Would have loved to have gotten into some larger pelagics, but no bites, never mind. Maybe next time.

It was a lot of effort for 2 keepers  😆  was knackered.  Had a solid sleep, then next day was far more productive, a beach session along fingal spit. 

A very windy but sunny Xmas day.

For some reason I brought my 8000 80lb/100lb setup because, "you never know"  However this did enable to cast a heavier weight into the wind.

Live and frozen worms on a 12lb paternoster rig. With the first cast not far off matching my Pb Whiting. Frozen worms being more popular.

We had a beach shelter, the plan was to chill and wait for the bites but I was too busy reeling in dart and whiting on my two rods.

Had a really nice feed, tried dart for the first time, highly recommended!

Anyway we had an amazing time in PS and want to live here.

20221225_085206_compress75.jpg

IMG-20221226-WA0007_compress6.jpg

20221226_193528_compress15.jpg

20221226_143038_compress66.jpg

Edited by FishyMcFishFace
  • Like 12

17 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Looks good, a nice feed of fillets. How do dart rate on the plate, never eaten any?

I rate it as good as Whiting or better, like whiting with a bit more bite, al dente. Not much meat on them but worth a try if you can justify the filleting with the size you catch. These were a bit small I think next time 28cm+ would be worth it!

Edited by FishyMcFishFace
  • Like 1