Forceps vs Pliers

lastworm

I use forceps, both straight and curved nose on smaller bream lures with size 12, 10 or 8 trebles and pliers on most hooks larger. 
The locking mechanism on the forceps comes in handy at times, but they really lack grip strength on hooks with larger barbs.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

I use forceps, both straight and curved nose on smaller bream lures with size 12, 10 or 8 trebles and pliers on most hooks larger. 
The locking mechanism on the forceps comes in handy at times, but they really lack grip strength on hooks with larger barbs.

Nice work GH :) I have a few of those hanging around too (all nurses do)

The ratchet mosquito forcep and a curved forceps are used by the fly fishos I believe they have special forceps. They don't rust and do the job. 

@Centrepin Geoff can you give some info on what is available? 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mike Sydney said:

While we’re talking pliers, what’s the go to for maintenance? I’m on my third pair in two years from rusting, seizing up….I presume I should spray in with something- what, how often etc?

INOX MX3 spray should keep them in top nick.

I’ve found the spring mechanism on mine go before they rust, so I got some of those Rapala magsprings but the magnet isn’t as strong as the old fashion spring type.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Nice work GH :) I have a few of those hanging around too (all nurses do)

The ratchet mosquito forcep and a curved forceps are used by the fly fishos I believe they have special forceps. They don't rust and do the job. 

@Centrepin Geoff can you give some info on what is available? 

My brother is a GP, so I get my forceps at the right price along with other handy things like the single use tweezers from the suture kits.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lastworm said:

I was mostly thinking forceps would be better suited than pliers due to the tiny trebles most of my bass lures have. While pliers have the pulling power, forceps look as though they would make access to trebles a lot easier.

You’re absolutely right. The big advantage of forceps over pliers is the better access they have inside a fish’s mouth being so much narrower and untapered.

• Like 1

I use braid scissors with the split ring plier on the tips. Great for rigging and hook removal. Only problem is that if a large fish takes a lure deep, they might not have the reach.

HDF and the daiwa j braid branded split ring scissors spare my favourites. I have a set on all four fishing bags in the house, including the kids fishing bag.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

I use braid scissors with the split ring plier on the tips. Great for rigging and hook removal. Only problem is that if a large fish takes a lure deep, they might not have the reach.

HDF and the daiwa j braid branded split ring scissors spare my favourites. I have a set on all four fishing bags in the house, including the kids fishing bag.

I’ll have to take a look at them Mike.
Personally I don’t use braid scissors, I prefer to trim the braid with the cutters on my pliers.

Must admit Im getting a bit fed up of many of the junk fishing pliers and tools on the market. Pliers in the $100 bracket should in my opinion be able to handle hook removal without bending. A recent pair of Gerber long nose bent completely out of shape simply from unhooking a small maori wrasse. Before that the shorter nosed black magic and so on. Just added a pair of what look like cheap stainless pliers from jigstar, only these were $70. The ones that seem to do best are the cheap stainless $20 range which look much the same as the jigstar ones Ive just bought. 

• Like 3

Heard heaps of complaints about pliers rusting out in salt water, and also issues with aluminum rust proof models not being as strong and breaking.

I’ve decided to go with a set of high quality forceps with cutters built in, two tools in one and hopefully theyperform as required.

On 12/29/2022 at 6:09 AM, Green Hornet said:

My brother is a GP, so I get my forceps at the right price along with other handy things like the single use tweezers from the suture kits.

Half your luck as they're not easy to come by, especially in my region. They are good for angling.

bn

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Half your luck as they're not easy to come by, especially in my region. They are good for angling.

bn

GP’s or forceps??? LOL!

I’m not a patient of his and he’s a lousy fisherman too.

Seriously though, you can buy forceps pretty cheap on line.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

bn

Check out the e nurse shop Neil - I like the gold or titanium ones 😃 they won’t rust!!

https://www.enurse.com.au/product-category/equipment/nursing-equipment/scissors-forceps/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtbqdBhDvARIsAGYnXBNbn7_oEzHIPCF0Lf6PBDL8ez4jkOhF3TCrA_yLL51_ZB9j3F67M2EaAmfNEALw_wcB

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1