Fitting rods in car

slothparade

Good afternoon, looking for some ideas. I've encountered a problem with a cargo barrier and rods, being rods don't fit with the barrier, it's fine on the beach when they are in the rod holders but traveling around is the problem.

My basic solution was to cut the cage and install a trap door which could be opened and closes to allow for rods to go through but I've encountered problems like rods not being stored in the same spot every time. The simple solution is to have multiple doors but then the rigidity of the cage is pretty useless. 

Option 2 was a soft cage, but never used one and don't know if anyone who has. It has the benefit of being able to be adjusted, light. Seems to be a good idea, down side is you can't hang things off of it.

Have considered a PVC tube that runs down the side of the draws, unfortunately it messes with the 12v system but has the potential to be a good alternative. 

Another alternative was to hang a pipe off the side of the roof, if anyone has experience with this please share. 

Have considered the roof rack storage for rods but couldn't work out an easy way to get to the rods. 

Another question, how do people Singal can utes fit rods, not in the tray? 

If anyone has any other ideas would be grateful to hear it, no matter how weird it may be. 

I'm not sure why it would be hard to line up the rods with a hole in the cage each time. Another solution would be to do away with the cage. You can tie down heavy objects. Also, so long as objects are not in line of sight to where you are seated, they should pose no risk. I'm not sure what you mean by 'couldn't work out an easy way to get to the rods' with the roof rack option. Are they too high to reach? 

I can’t comment on your first few questions, but I drive a Commodore cab chassis “ute” and all my 2 piece lure casting rods up to 11 foot fit easily in the passenger side of the cab, even with a passenger in tow.

The longer 2 piece bait fishing rods have to go in the tray and a few well positioned ring bolts keep everything secure without the need for a cargo net or similar. The one piece rods are secured at the tailgate and occy strapped to the headbox rack. You just have to be careful of low overhanging branches, or once you get off the major roads you can reverse them and let the tips hang low, out over the tailgate.

• Like 1