Hanging by a thread

jeffb5.8

After having a read of Fabs (It comes in 3's) story i thought i would share my mishap story.

Towed the boat down to Huskinson in Sept for a holiday with the family in tow, decided to take a fishing trip to St Georges Basin,

So pulled up at Old Erowal bay ramp, which looks like a normal street between two houses, but has a nice two-lane ramp.

It was quiet and i was the only boat there so i backed the boat down close to the ramp and then climbed in the boat to turn the battery on and put up the Bimini and stow my gear on my 539 bowrider,

Once everything was ready, I decided to hop over the side of the boat to land on the concrete ramp, instead of using the steps on the back or the spare wheel on the front,

Just as i was about to launch, my brain said, " This could go really bad, you only had an ACL rebuild 14mths ago," 

Well, it did go bad and could have been really bad, as I leaped over the rear corner of my boat, the leg of my favourite boardshorts became caught on the rear cleat, the cleat ripped through my short and hooked my shorts, which cause me to violently swing headfirst towards the ground.

As I am falling my right arm is trying to grab the handrail and my left arm was going to stop me from going headfirst into the road, but as I was trying to reach out, it was caught in my loose-fitting T Shirt, thankfully my shorts held, and my head / hat just grazed the concrete as it swung towards the back of the boat.

Once i got my wits about me, i realized i was stuck hanging upside down, could not get a good enough grip to pull myself up and the best i could do was a handstand pushup, t was trying to jiggle my shorts off the cleat or off my body, that lasted 2 mins before my arms became tired. So i was hanging there wondering how long my shorts can hold 110kg or how long till another boatie comes to help me.

Just then an old bloke came past with his dog and tilts his head down to mine, "that was one way to get out of a boat",

He then gave me a hand to get down, just as my mate and his family pulled up. We all were having a laugh, but it was also a bit of a scare as it wouldn't have been pretty going headfirst into the concrete from the top of my boat which is probably 1.5mtrs from the ground.

Was very lucky that day,

P.s I still wear the shorts with the rip as I figure i owe them for saving me, although my wife things i should throw them away as they (a) are ripped, (b) tried to make me a quadriplegic by getting hooked on the cleat. 

• Like 9

Not funny, but I bet it will be a good laugh in 6 months or so.....it's funny how this stuff happens hey? One minute you're ready to fish, next minute, you're dangling by your shorts, unable to get down! A long time ago, I was going to jump off my mates boat, over the bow rail and onto the jetty, as I balanced ready to leap, he hit reverse to slow us down, that was just enough to tip me over, going head first into the water, much to his amusement, it wasn't so funny when he found out I had dropped the car keys when I fell!

• Like 1

A few years back I was getting into a mates boat at Patonga ramp , the boat was pulled up on the beach and as I pushed up with my leg to throw my other leg over the side the boat lurched and bent my knee backward and I did a somersault and landed flat on my back in the shore wash . I spent a few weeks nursing a swollen sore knee and a whole day with undies full of sand - I don’t know which was more unpleasant 😂 Took months for the knee to come good . Amazing how the thing that caused the accident ended up saving you !

Edited by XD351

22 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

After having a read of Fabs (It comes in 3's) story i thought i would share my mishap story.

Towed the boat down to Huskinson in Sept for a holiday with the family in tow, decided to take a fishing trip to St Georges Basin,

So pulled up at Old Erowal bay ramp, which looks like a normal street between two houses, but has a nice two-lane ramp.

It was quiet and i was the only boat there so i backed the boat down close to the ramp and then climbed in the boat to turn the battery on and put up the Bimini and stow my gear on my 539 bowrider,

Once everything was ready, I decided to hop over the side of the boat to land on the concrete ramp, instead of using the steps on the back or the spare wheel on the front,

Just as i was about to launch, my brain said, " This could go really bad, you only had an ACL rebuild 14mths ago," 

Well, it did go bad and could have been really bad, as I leaped over the rear corner of my boat, the leg of my favourite boardshorts became caught on the rear cleat, the cleat ripped through my short and hooked my shorts, which cause me to violently swing headfirst towards the ground.

As I am falling my right arm is trying to grab the handrail and my left arm was going to stop me from going headfirst into the road, but as I was trying to reach out, it was caught in my loose-fitting T Shirt, thankfully my shorts held, and my head / hat just grazed the concrete as it swung towards the back of the boat.

Once i got my wits about me, i realized i was stuck hanging upside down, could not get a good enough grip to pull myself up and the best i could do was a handstand pushup, t was trying to jiggle my shorts off the cleat or off my body, that lasted 2 mins before my arms became tired. So i was hanging there wondering how long my shorts can hold 110kg or how long till another boatie comes to help me.

Just then an old bloke came past with his dog and tilts his head down to mine, "that was one way to get out of a boat",

He then gave me a hand to get down, just as my mate and his family pulled up. We all were having a laugh, but it was also a bit of a scare as it wouldn't have been pretty going headfirst into the concrete from the top of my boat which is probably 1.5mtrs from the ground.

Was very lucky that day,

P.s I still wear the shorts with the rip as I figure i owe them for saving me, although my wife things i should throw them away as they (a) are ripped, (b) tried to make me a quadriplegic by getting hooked on the cleat. 

😂😂😂I’d get rid of the shorts as that rip will catch on anything and everything now.My boat is in the garage and has metal rod holders that I’ve nearly self loaded myself into the mrs front load washing machine many times climbing in/out getting caught on it.

Last time I got caught on it I head butted the shelf the drier sits on.

You’d think I’d pull out the R clip that holds that one on and remove the holder but I’m not that smart otherwise I’d be the prime minister of the country if I were.F0FDA5D4-E137-4950-8586-B5F3A88ABBE4.thumb.jpeg.b74b8b5e17124931384eb2781ef2896b.jpeg

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Hey Fab

I have the same issue with the Row Locks (Oar Holders) on my daughter tinny, they are right where i step out onto the trailer mudguard.

Mine take two seconds to pull out but do you think I do it?No,just climb in/out and get hooked every time.Sheer laziness on my part.

• Haha 1