Easy guide boat issues

Pickles

Hoping some Raiders can give feedback on the Easy Guide boat loader system if you’ve fitted and been using one.. There is very little on there site and only one promotional (very short) vid on YouTube. I throughly read and followed the instructions and within 3 trips had the rollers disintegrate - so not sure if I got a faulty one (I was disappointed to observe they are only zinc coated and not Gal - can’t understand why????)

pics show set up & damage - fortunately I noticed the roller before the tinny had a hole punched through it. Needless to say I removed it and plan on returning it for a refund (not “fit for purpose”).

F082B5DA-DA8A-4EED-A2E2-7D70C0FAE9DB.jpeg

9256AC75-0C32-4B38-AADE-09FBEABE8F6B.jpeg

Most have a "bumper" on the ends, maybe yours fell off? If not, you can but then, it's just a kind if short roller that's rounded at one end.

edit......looks like the very back roller is not touching the keel, is that the case or just how it looks? Nothing to do with your missing roller bit, just an observation.

Edited by noelm
Added a bit

I would be looking at replacing the short end roller with a piece

of Polyurethane rod machined (or hacksawed) to length and drilled 

for the shaft otherwise a cut down roller

From the residual left overs on the shaft it looks like they had a

metal sleeve inside the roller

2 hours ago, xerotao said:

It looks like you are missing a roller on the end where it punched a hole through your hull

F7518F1D-F719-4099-A292-82170FECE74F.jpeg

Yep, that's the "bumper" end I mentioned, you can buy them, looks like yours just broke apart because it was resting right on that ridge on the hull bottom.

Edited by noelm

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Just re-read your first post.....it seems like you know there is a bit missing, and sending the whole thing back! Sorry, didn't fully understand the text.

Just reread the post also. It appears the "bumper" popped off, as there is a blue mark on the hull where it may of come off.

• Like 1

I have had a few on various trailers over the years and always took them off and replaced with v bunks to guide boat to center rollers .

You are well within your rights to demand a full refund. They will probably offer a replacement part and insist on it being standard policy . But stick to your guns for refund as you DON't want to risk holing your boat .

Frank

On 2/8/2023 at 8:41 AM, noelm said:

Most have a "bumper" on the ends, maybe yours fell off? If not, you can but then, it's just a kind if short roller that's rounded at one end.

edit......looks like the very back roller is not touching the keel, is that the case or just how it looks? Nothing to do with your missing roller bit, just an observation.

16 hours ago, frankS said:

I have had a few on various trailers over the years and always took them off and replaced with v bunks to guide boat to center rollers .

You are well within your rights to demand a full refund. They will probably offer a replacement part and insist on it being standard policy . But stick to your guns for refund as you DON't want to risk holing your boat .

Frank

20 hours ago, noelm said:

Just re-read your first post.....it seems like you know there is a bit missing, and sending the whole thing back! Sorry, didn't fully understand the text.

Noel the short end bumper split and disintegrated, the one on the Right Hand Side, did the same, makes me think it was a faulty unit. Fortunately I bought it at Road Tech Marine and they have an excellent return / replace policy, and although the concept is great, I’ve lost confidence in the product - unless I’ve done something wrong in the setup???

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, frankS said:

Frank

My thoughts too Frank - when you say “V bunks”, is that a V shaped last roller replacement?

21 hours ago, chris_55 said:

I would be looking at replacing the short end roller with a piece

of Polyurethane rod machined (or hacksawed) to length and drilled 

for the shaft otherwise a cut down roller

From the residual left overs on the shaft it looks like they had a

metal sleeve inside the roller

Thanks for suggestion Steve - being $250 dollars, I would have expected better engineered unit though?

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

My thoughts too Frank - when you say “V bunks”, is that a V shaped last roller replacement?

No mate V as in leading to the rear center roller

trailerconversion2.thumb.jpg.469bd9fcaced6f06a50feaa53205e6dd.jpg

another example, even the worst boat driver could drive onto the trailer with V's like this.

boattrailer4.thumb.jpg.0880f3c9bf6fadd1e314b203e484bde3.jpg

Frank

Edited by frankS

Just for interest sake.....is the spring on the guide gizmo fully loaded and it's hitting the stop? Just mulling this over, how about, if the device is supporting the boat weight, instead of the rollers , as evidenced by the rear roller not contacting the keel, maybe, seeing as the bumper end was contacting a ridge (as seen by the blue mark) then, just maybe it had way too much weight on it than intended? I am just groping at straws, but, stuff like this is right up my alley, kind of!

17 hours ago, frankS said:

No mate V as in leading to the rear center roller

trailerconversion2.thumb.jpg.469bd9fcaced6f06a50feaa53205e6dd.jpg

another example, even the worst boat driver could drive onto the trailer with V's like this.

boattrailer4.thumb.jpg.0880f3c9bf6fadd1e314b203e484bde3.jpg

Frank

Thanks Frank - don’t want to have to redesign or replace the trailer, but I can see from your pics how this would be very efficient though - thanks.

Why are you using them to begin with?Guide posts would be my choice.

I had a idiot at ramp when we first got my boat knock my boat off trailer causing a big gouge in hull when it scraped along the edge of trailer roller bracket.

I since put trailer guide posts on and my boat won’t move sideways as soon as the keel touches the rear roller.

Edited by Fab1