Freshwater Yabbies In Nsw

Eres

11 hours ago, Eres said:

Visited Lake Lyell last week. Nothing. Tried different spots.
Spoke with a few locals. Was told that this season that yabbies had not been seen yet. 

Hi Eres. I can fill you in on some info that may, at least, keep you legal. Yabbies can be sought using the appropriate "lift net"...the old fashioned "opera house" nets are no longer legal. Mainly this is to protect Platypus from entering them and drowning. Platypus are an endangered species. The thread also mentions Spiny Crayfish which are a protected species in many areas. Check the areas where you wish to go for YABBIES first. 

The yabbies are out and able to be caught once the weather warms up (now). They hibernate during cold weather. If they are not around in a particular area NOW, they won't be around so you should look elsewhere. They can be caught in freshwater rivers and impoundments but also in farm dams. If you have access to any farm dams, that will probably be your best bet

Good luck, bn

• Like 1

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hi Eres. I can fill you in on some info that may, at least, keep you legal. Yabbies can be sought using the appropriate "lift net"...the old fashioned "opera house" nets are no longer legal. Mainly this is to protect Platypus from entering them and drowning. Platypus are an endangered species. The thread also mentions Spiny Crayfish which are a protected species in many areas. Check the areas where you wish to go for YABBIES first. 

The yabbies are out and able to be caught once the weather warms up (now). They hibernate during cold weather. If they are not around in a particular area NOW, they won't be around so you should look elsewhere. They can be caught in freshwater rivers and impoundments but also in farm dams. If you have access to any farm dams, that will probably be your best bet

Good luck, bn

Are the opera house traps allowed on private property though?

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

@slothparade best to check the DPI rules

Here is a mention of the new rules that started last year in a post. Scroll down to read it.

You might message them on the dpi Facebook page. Let us know what they advise :) 

It carries a $38000 fine. 

460F5FF6-C2A5-4CA7-B523-6E24EDDCC9BB.jpeg

Thanks very much, I'll directly ask them. Was always under the assumption that private property was exempt from fisheries regulations including bag limits. Im guessing its illegal to be in possession of opera house traps as well then, or does that apply to fresh water, as I was advised they were permitted in salt water to catch poddies. 

1 hour ago, slothparade said:

Thanks very much, I'll directly ask them. Was always under the assumption that private property was exempt from fisheries regulations including bag limits. Im guessing its illegal to be in possession of opera house traps as well then, or does that apply to fresh water, as I was advised they were permitted in salt water to catch poddies. 

Certainly worth asking whether they may be used in saltwater environments to catch poddies. Would you be kind enough to post what you find out from DPI?

Many thanks, bn

15 minutes ago, Bennyg78 said:

When I was young we just stuck our fingers down the yabbie holes and pulled them out when they clamped on your hand, a highly successful but painful method.

An unusual method of catching yabbies Bennyg78. They are quite capable of applying a nasty bite sometimes. bn

• Like 1

I used to catch yabbies using a small piece of meat tied to a length of cotton (guess you could use fine fishing line) and just pull in slowly. Worked fine in farm dams and we used to get heaps in the bore drains around Moree. We also used pieces of roo meat from road kill and catch them in the river near Mungindi.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eres said:

Thanks for advice. Probably try to visit a few spots on Sunday. 

I usually bait my yabbie nets with either dog biscuits (the small ones) or heart, liver or kidney. They are the "clean-up squad" in freshwater environments, so they are often found in agricultural drainage channels where the water is not terribly clean or clear.  All of those baits work well.

bn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2023 at 4:52 PM, big Neil said:

Certainly worth asking whether they may be used in saltwater environments to catch poddies. Would you be kind enough to post what you find out from DPI?

Many thanks, bn

They replied, size limits and bag limits do not apply to private property, same as opera house traps are legal on private property. The one I contacted was unsure about opera house traps in saltwater and will contact me later with an answer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1