and other stuff too

big Neil

I headed S/W to Deniliquin to catch up with a mate who fishes the Edward River...that was Wednesday. We hit an area that was new to me and got a couple of nice Silver Perch and literally dozens of Carp. Mate (Larry) had told me the Edward River was inundated with Carp after last year's floods... he wasn't exaggerating. We caught some that were only 10 cm long and no really big ones. Good fun and we also rid the river of some future breeding stock.

Thursday saw us try a new area on the way South to Moama. We tried to get some shrimps but alas there were none around so it was no surprise that we caught no Cod, only 1 Silver Perch, and dozens more Carp. This time they were substantially bigger and it was virtually a Carp a cast. I left early afternoon and headed down to Moama (on the NSW/ Victoria border)  to watch the BPL series 17. Some fantastic bowls were played and I got home late Saturday morning to prepare for my Pennants bowls on Sunday.

Strange that the Murray River system, which includes the Edward River, is plagued by Carp and there are few Cod feeding. My river (Murrumbidgee River) has few Carp if my catch results are anything to go by. Only caught 1 while Cod fishing, but caught plenty of Cod species.

Hope to head out Cod fishing in the Murrumbidgee this week but have a few things to repair on the boat first. Lost the winch handle last trip and had to float the boat onto the trailer. Noted that the winch strap had been substantially shortened so that will get fixed too.

bn

Edited by big Neil
  • Like 10

Mentioning the Edward River brings back memories for me Neil. Had friends at Barham/Koondrook which we used to stay at and fish the Edward river (On Ozy Flights place) Wakool river and also in the Murray. Had some great times down there in those younger days.

Thanks mate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Great report Neil (enjoying the mug - early morning coffee, thanks again mate). Have you ever tried eating the carp?

No, I haven't knowingly tried Carp. Some say that they can be prepared for the table and taste good. They are eaten in many countries of the world, by millions of people... so they must be edible. In Australia we are spoiled for choice, Carp isn't on most people's list. 

Neil

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Mentioning the Edward River brings back memories for me Neil. Had friends at Barham/Koondrook which we used to stay at and fish the Edward river (On Ozy Flights place) Wakool river and also in the Murray. Had some great times down there in those younger days.

Thanks mate.

Great that you have such fond memories of the Edward River region. No wonder you feel an attachment to some of my posts. If you ever feel like a "fix" let me know and I will post some suitable photos which you will enjoy.

bn

• Like 1

9 hours ago, big Neil said:

Great that you have such fond memories of the Edward River region. No wonder you feel an attachment to some of my posts. If you ever feel like a "fix" let me know and I will post some suitable photos which you will enjoy.

bn

I never get tired of any of your photos BN.