Botany Bay again

Restyle

G'day raiders headed off to botany bay again to chase some pelagic action. caught some live yakkas and a handful of squid on Sunday evening and kept the yakkas alive in a bucket till Tuesday, Headed out at 4.30 and in the water by 5. Had a brief chat to another kayak fisho launching. 

Once at point Molineux there was plenty of bait on the sounder which were more yakkas so I threw one out with a hook in it straight away and also dropped a squid down. The clouds were lit up by fire as (i thought) the port was doing some burn off, but later that night i find out a emergency at a nearby plastics plant. The flames were over 80 meters into the sky and i could feel the heat from the bay.

Anyway, a small rat kingfish took the squid at around 6-6.30 followed by another one 5 minutes later. Both were in the late 50's. By now 5 other boats were anchored nearby  & no one seemed to catch anything besides shovel nose sharks and port Jackson's. 

Plenty of large bust ups of salmon & bonito but didn't take any pillie cubes, squid tentacles used as a plastic or a 1.5 gram halco twisty. 7am and my live bait rod peels over and the fish goes straight for the surface and jumps around. 52cm salmon very fat, very healthy, took a quick pic and released. 

image.png.f6fe51d8d8a04b274e99fc10ef3c039f.png

the fishing mostly died down after that, schools of sweep were down deep and my livie had a few goes at it near by boats didn't seem to hook onto them.

10am comes around and i decide to head in, gave my livies to another boat hopefully they'd catch something.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

Nice session Restyle!

Got to love the sambo aerobatics!

Howd you keep the yakkas alive in a bucket for so long?

I store them in a bucket at a baitshop, change the water when it goes bad and keep them at a constant temp. As long as you don’t man Handel them too much and don’t let them flap around on the ground they will stay alive for a long time. I unhook them inside the bucket as soon as I catch them

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...