First Edible Australian Catch!

Madkanu

I headed down to the Newport wharf for an early morning fish this morning.  When I got there someone else was already fishing from the wharf so I decided to try from the shoreline for a bit. I pretty well had action on my sugapen right away hooked up my first fish soon thereafter. Unfortunately it was only a little snook. I noticed the guy on the wharf had pulled up a tailor so I kept at it in my section and pretty soon thereafter got a decent hit that stole my lure. When I pulled in the line it looked more like a cut than the knot failing so maybe a tailor?  Anyway, at the time my theory was that it was another snook so not wanting to lose any more lures to fish I didn’t want to catch I moved out to wharf. 

Before too long I got to talking with the other fellow who turned out to be super helpful and gave me a several great tips about fishing that wharf.  He also pointed out some squid that had been chasing after his lure. Having not caught one of them yet I decided to have a go and quickly hooked up. 

FEF8DF49-D20F-416B-B0AB-4EDDD24275F6.jpeg.2a9176d6335edc5d4a4f672479908120.jpeg

After having caught a couple squid (and managing to not get inked) I figured I had an appetiser of salt and pepper squid now covered so went back to work on the main course.  There appeared to be a school of bonito (the other guy’s guess) popping up in the channel in front of us from time to time but unfortunately I didn’t connect with one of them before my great fishing spot turned into a busy jetty with a booze cruise boat coming in to get ready for a hens party, and then another loading up for a 30th birthday. Lesson learned - that wharf seems like a good spot early in the morning but once it starts to get busy it’s time to go find another spot.  

I went back to the shoreline and had a couple more hits of smaller fish on a splash prawn before calling it a morning and heading home to learn how to clean squid. 

51B61B7A-57F3-409D-B2F7-5A340FE38777.jpeg.37d25806617398267f3f1fb0eed4d36d.jpeg

So I’m ready for the next session with some calamari for the trying pan tonight and some squid heads and wings for bait in the freezer. All in all, not a bad morning for this newbie. 

57CDD431-3BA8-488B-B354-3E5921C47A92.jpeg

• Like 16

Well done Madkanu, squid are often difficult to catch. You will enjoy them cos they were freshly caught. Good luck as you continue the learning curve and start to get more species. Fishing is a very addictive sport and there's always something new to learn. A good report and photos.    bn

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice one @Madkanu, always nice to find a feed for your efforts. The Newport wharf sees schools of pelagics occasionally. Good fun!

Speaking of a feed, a good one can be found in The Newport next door!

Haha. Yep, I think a feed at the Newport is in the cards for tomorrow. 🤣

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Well done Madkanu, squid are often difficult to catch. You will enjoy them cos they were freshly caught. Good luck as you continue the learning curve and start to get more species. Fishing is a very addictive sport and there's always something new to learn. A good report and photos.    bn

Thanks @big Neil .  Definitely addictive. Already busy thinking about what I would do differently next session. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madkanu said:

In the end it wound up being calamari parppadelle carbonara thanks to the talents of Mrs @Madkanu who cooked the squid perfectly. Definitely one to do again!

5D4522E1-5073-4A77-BD77-AACD8A492F0F.jpeg.bd4bb5958ec800803012a06c3287db4a.jpeg

.... and so the addiction begins ..... 🤣 

Awesome report and outcome Rob ... complements to the chef ... looks divine. 

Cheers Zoran 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bennyg78 said:

Well done @Madkanu

Great to see you working out the local spots!

Love a feed of squid!!

Thanks @Bennyg78 for reinforcing the idea for me to head there Saturday morning. I contemplated putting the kayak to cover more of Winnererremy Bay but in the end decided I still had enough to work on from the shore and glad that I did. Between yours and @DerekD’s recommendation that was clearly a good spot and I get it now that I’ve worked out a few more of the details (e.g. channel, weed beds, holes).  Hope you made it out and the knee held up well. 

• Like 1

Hi @Madkanu glad to see the aha comments starting to come in. I think you are really growing in leaps and bounds since our first session at Drummoyne. The biggest improvements start coming once that mental switch is activated and you really consider how you are fishing an area. Yes, you will have unsuccessful sessions but as long as you learn something from them then it is not wasted and most times just getting out there is a win.

Shore based I find it is a little harder to fish the Pittwater area than the areas I have access to but there are still some amazing opportunities to be had. Since it is in your backyard it will pay off in the long term putting in the research now. I'd also suggest you treat yourself to one of the charter outfits that fish the area (can make some suggestions next time we chat) to really shortcut your learning process. Yes it will cost but the knowledge they have is worth it.

Looking forward to your next reports.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi @Madkanu glad to see the aha comments starting to come in. I think you are really growing in leaps and bounds since our first session at Drummoyne. The biggest improvements start coming once that mental switch is activated and you really consider how you are fishing an area. Yes, you will have unsuccessful sessions but as long as you learn something from them then it is not wasted and most times just getting out there is a win.

Shore based I find it is a little harder to fish the Pittwater area than the areas I have access to but there are still some amazing opportunities to be had. Since it is in your backyard it will pay off in the long term putting in the research now. I'd also suggest you treat yourself to one of the charter outfits that fish the area (can make some suggestions next time we chat) to really shortcut your learning process. Yes it will cost but the knowledge they have is worth it.

Looking forward to your next reports.

Thanks @DerekD   It’s definitely starting to come together. Thanks again for all the coaching!