Targeting Flathead off the beach

Undertow

Hello fellow Raiders

Are there any pearls of wisdom you could pass on to target flathead off the beach more often? I’m an Alvey fisherman and have used the standard running sinker rig and usually pipi for bait and catch the usual dart, whiting and bream. Any advice on different rigs, bait selection etc to entice the lizards would be great. I’ll be fishing between Sunshine and Peregian beaches on the Sunshine Coast. 

Thanks

• Like 1

@Undertow Hi and welcome to Fishraider 🙂

Try looking the area up on Google and then go to satellite image

this will show any structure and weed patches or run off creeks to target

then its just a matter of burley and tide to entice them if they are around

I like using frozen prawn heads in an old onion bag for burley

• Like 2

I have found the only "big" Flathead caught have been around the entrance to creeks and rivers, on the outgoing tide. Most beach Flathead are just medium size (or tiny). Where I am, there is a small Estuary running onto the beach right next to the rocks, a live Poddy Mullet, drifted out with the tide will almost guarantee a big Flathead, I just walk along the sand, then onto the rocks with the live bait drifting with the tide, so guessing anywhere that fits that description will be the same.

• Like 2

Basically the same technique as in the estuary , look for areas of shallow water that drop off into deeper water , run out tide and match the hatch ( match what they are eating in the area as best you can) . The majority of what a flattie eats on a beach are small whiting , mullet , dart , salmon and tommy ruff in southern waters . I use fish fillets ( garfish if I can get them) , half pillie on a single hook or a whole pillie on gangs . Cast out onto the shallow areas and let the bait wash into the deeper water , keep your bait moving - if it sits there you will get picked to death by sand crabs so don’t anchor it in one spot with a giant sinker . If there isn’t enough wash to move your bait slowly wind it in. Don’t forget the shore break - more often than not the fish are right at your feet .

If you want to see what lure fishing on a beach for flathead is like take a look at sand flat fishing Australia YouTube channel he is one of the best in the business.

Edited by XD351
To add more info
  • Like 2

Down here in Sydney I wait for a calm night with little or no surf. Smallest sinker possible. With little or no surf I find bait stay on the bottom and moves gently with what waves there are. I find the bigger lizards 70+ cm seem to come in a lot closer.

Bait is half pillie single 5/0 hook.

• Like 1