Losing fish on gillies

faker

Have been fishing for bonito and tailor alot but I am not hooking up on half the strikes. Is it because the 20g gillies treble hooks are too big? Because I know I have lost fish on smaller 10gram 

Fyi.

I normally use fast burn and yank technique but find it hard to strike on time.

Any advice for newbie on lures would be appreciated 

7 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Agree with the single hook. 
Whether you decide on a single or a treble, ensure the hook is sharp. Either use chemically sharpened hooks and change them regularly or invest in a fine grit, hook sharpener.

how come single hooks are better? and what is trick to choosing proper single hook size and type of hook

10 hours ago, faker said:

how come single hooks are better? and what is trick to choosing proper single hook size and type of hook

You can use a larger gape, single hook than a treble, therefore they mostly get a better hold in a fish’s mouth. 
Look for a hook size roughly the width of the trebel. Example, for a size 4 treble, a single around 1/0 or 2/0 should get the job done.  
There’s plenty of in line, single hooks purposely made for the job or you can use something like a Mustad Hoodlum (my favorite) with an extra split ring. If using a regular type hook just ensure it doesn’t have a kirb, otherwise the lure may spin in the water creating line twist.

• Like 1

A few things with getting hooked up on metals;

1. keep your rod tip low to the water , when you get whacked DONT lift the rod up , keep winding until you have the full weight of the fish, use low rod angles to fight the fish especially jumpers like tailor and salmon

2. if you are using braided line have aa shock absorber built into your rigging -tie a bimini double and a decent length of mono leader

3. sharpen your hooks , also some of those cheap metals come with undersized trebles which can make a clean hookup harder to get. In my experience there is no real advantage to singles over trebles as long as they are the right size and quality-trebles get more hookups but singles stay in better once you are hooked up-personal observations from 40 odd years of metal chucking

going back to point number 1, KEEP winding dont stop and dont strike

• Like 4