Pearl bay fishing spot

faker

Can’t say it is a spot that inspires me - looks like a crab , stingray and banjo shark haven to me . If I had to fish there the two wharves marked in red is where I would try , pink nippers would be my bait of choice and either a soft plastic or a vibe for a lure , maybe some Luderick there as well .I have heard of the odd kingie coming out of that bay but out wider and off the marina . The other spot next to the bridge is where I have caught kingies , bream and Luderick. Anywhere there is sand you are a chance of flathead , flounder and whiting but I think the eastern side of the bridge would be better for those .

IMG_0066.thumb.jpeg.f0fbbd14fa6cddae79ae7126be3be556.jpeg

Most of the fishing I used to do in middle harbour ( from the shore ) was at folly point and at spot 1 a long cast towards the moored yachts using garfish fillets as bait has yielded quite a few decent flathead and the odd big bream , it is a bit saggy so be prepared for tackle losses . I never lure fished here but on a high tide it would  be worth a try .

Spot 2 : used to fish this at night on the run up tide using either pink or green nippers , stand on the big rock and lob a unweighted bait out about 10 meters and let it slowly sink , I have caught some big bream here and they will come right up over the reef on the high tide to feed on the crabs and green nippers that live on the reef . Be prepared to wade through chest deep water to get back to dry land though ! 
IMG_0068.thumb.jpeg.6037931c500d5ac900bd17cb5539ad95.jpeg

Off the headland at castlecrag there is a rock I have fished from mostly for Luderick, it is a bit of a clamber down the hill though and not for those that are not so sure footed or fish alone .

IMG_0067.thumb.jpeg.3fe958528e84d190d42e904873839fea.jpeg

Once again there are no guarantees that you will catch any fish at these spots , I certainly had some donut days there and it can be super frustrating to go to the trouble of driving up to Pittwater to pump nippers then drive down to folly point and get nothing for your trouble , but that’s fishing !

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Burger said:

How much of the area did you try? Did you work around past the Spit Bridge and past the Middle Harbour Yacht Club?

Should be plenty of options to try in that area.

I was working from the bottom curve of @XD351 map of pearl bay to the marina with soft plastics. There is a nice rockledge/ plat form and some fishos there 

• Like 1

hey @faker

You could try fishing the Flats at clontarf beach around the corner on a good incoming tide, might have to get your feet wet. I have had a fair amount of success there.

Also happy to catch up with you for a fish if you want some advice and help in person

• Like 2

On 4/17/2023 at 5:45 PM, Bennyg78 said:

hey @faker

You could try fishing the Flats at clontarf beach around the corner on a good incoming tide, might have to get your feet wet. I have had a fair amount of success there.

Also happy to catch up with you for a fish if you want some advice and help in person

yea i am planning a trip there. how deep and what do you look for on sand flats when casting? i was thinking of fishing off drop of on eastern side

• Like 1

4 hours ago, faker said:

yea i am planning a trip there. how deep and what do you look for on sand flats when casting? i was thinking of fishing off drop of on eastern side

Its super shallow and so clear that you can sight cast to fish. If you have a top water lure its worth throwing otherwise you can rig a very lightly weighted plastic (or unweighted even). There are usually bream, whiting, snook and mullet moving through there. Youd want to get there early as theres an off leash dog park that can really ruin the fishing.

The drop off is great to fish too but youll need a good weighted jig head  or lure to work with the current that moves through there, in saying that I have caught some good salmon on topwater at the drop off.

2 minutes ago, Bennyg78 said:

Its super shallow and so clear that you can sight cast to fish. If you have a top water lure its worth throwing otherwise you can rig a very lightly weighted plastic (or unweighted even). There are usually bream, whiting, snook and mullet moving through there. Youd want to get there early as theres an off leash dog park that can really ruin the fishing.

The drop off is great to fish too but youll need a good weighted jig head  or lure to work with the current that moves through there, in saying that I have caught some good salmon on topwater at the drop off.

i am guessing 1/8 is too heavy on the sand flats but 1/6 should work. but my 1/8 and 1/4 should be fine on the deeper side

• Like 1