Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out to Bate Bay with my mate in his boat. Rather rock and rolling at anchor due to the swell and waves hitting the boat from different directions. Very few other boats out there.

Anchored some time before sunset, and pulled up various reef throwbacks - red rockies, pike and sgt baker to 50cm.

After a while a few reddies turned up, and 2 were a little bit over legal. Plenty of tailor cruising about from early on, the biggest in the photo at 42cm, though most in the low to high 30's. Could have pulled more tailor, but we had enough and released a few as well. 

Also caught a trag each, mine just over legal, ganged hooks in the gills and a popped bladder, so would not have survived. Mate's trag was a little bit under.

Enough for a couple of feeds, so worth the bouncing about.

fish.jpeg.393_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 14

Nice bag Yowie! I took my son out this arvo for a fish and we collected some poddies to troll slowly around some deep spots for not much joy. Highlight was a 25cm Soapy on a nipper! Wind up next couple of days so you did well!

Edited by jenno64
typo

7 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Great feed as usual Yowie! You ought to be commended for your consistency!

Thank you. The fish were there, though a bit bouncy in a larger boat.

6 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice bag Yowie! I took my son out this arvo for a fish and we collected some poddies to troll slowly around some deep spots for not much joy. Highlight was a 25cm Sophie on a nipper! Wind up next couple of days so you did well!

Thank you. The fish up river have slowed a little in some spots.

We knew the weather was changing, so had to go out.

Hate it when the swell’s coming from multiple directions - feels like being in a washing machine - not comfortable.

Well done on the catch! Good feed there with a couple of nice panies! 

I was out there in the morning - conditions were really good - then a few larger swells started rolling in by late morning, followed by the wind.

9 hours ago, kantong said:

a great bag of fish mate, good stuff. Trag looks very 'jewfish' like, how do you rate it on the plate?

I rate it a little bit better than a jewie.

8 hours ago, Rebel said:

Top haul as usual.

Well done.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, Larkin said:

Hate it when the swell’s coming from multiple directions - feels like being in a washing machine - not comfortable.

Well done on the catch! Good feed there with a couple of nice panies! 

I was out there in the morning - conditions were really good - then a few larger swells started rolling in by late morning, followed by the wind.

Something to bring home, had the trag and tailor fillets tonight, reddie fillets in a couple of nights. A couple of tailor fillets salted for bait.

6 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great stuff Yowie, well done. How's inside the hacking fishing?

Thank you. The Hacking is slowing a bit, maybe try it next week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1