metal lure technique advice

faker

So have been fishing on metal gillies for quite a while and i have used the following techniques

1. fast burn
  2. fast retrieve with rod lowered with some yanking motions towards me

I tend to notice that for the second technique the trebles quite often hooks the leader so not sure if that is good technique?

I also have noticed when others do retrieve they have rod raised and jerk upwards. Not sure how that technique works and the rationale behind but would like to know if someone can help on what technique is best or if i am using too heavy lure

Hi @faker

That rod upwards movement is generally used with the flutter type jigs. It makes the lure rip up through the water column, pause then dart away again. I teach people to then give the lure some slack to allow it to flutter back down in the water column. It forces the fish to chase.

I prefer it with the 9 foot rods as the extra rod length really allows me to work the lure. @AlbertW recently got his first king by using a shore based jigging technique.

Regards.

Derek

Edited by DerekD

20 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Hi @faker

That rod upwards movement is generally used with the flutter type jigs. It makes the lure rip up through the water column, pause then dart away again. I teach people to then give the lure some slack to allow it to flutter back down in the water column. It forces the fish to chase.

I prefer it with the 9 foot rods as the extra rod length really allows me to work the lure. @AlbertW recently got his first king by using a shore based jigging technique.

Regards.

Derek

very strange not sure if you can actually jig with a 7 foot fast action rod but from what i can identify from what he was using it was a Surecatch Knight Metal Lure. But i know nothing about shore jigging and always assumed people ran around with 10 foot long rods and massive weights metalic lures.

I caught only 3 bonito while he was taking in around 20 (he released the rest after reaching bag limit).

Edited by faker

On 4/20/2023 at 12:15 PM, faker said:

So have been fishing on metal gillies for quite a while and i have used the following techniques

1. fast burn
  2. fast retrieve with rod lowered with some yanking motions towards me

I tend to notice that for the second technique the trebles quite often hooks the leader so not sure if that is good technique?

I also have noticed when others do retrieve they have rod raised and jerk upwards. Not sure how that technique works and the rationale behind but would like to know if someone can help on what technique is best or if i am using too heavy lure

It's common for metal lures to snag the line when using a "jerky" retrieve! Being the nerd that I am, and having the facilities to test it,  many years ago I decided to find out why/how it happens, and in reality it's really simple. The lure at speed in the water has momentum, and being metal has quite a bit, the line, being light does not, and the drag on the water stops the line almost immediately, but, the lure keeps moving forward for a jiffy (technical term) the drag on the line, on the front of the lure, drags it around backwards, the trebles almost instantly get caught on the line.....for a second you think you have a "hit" but, sadly not, just a long heavy wind in to fix it! See how simple it is? Not 100% sure my text description explains it all, but I tried.

edit......over the years I have tested, line and lure colours under water, line strength, stated V diameter, quality V cheap, line wear over cheap guides, quality guides and rollers and various knots for strength, all under quite controlled conditions..

Edited by noelm
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, noelm said:

It's common for metal lures to snag the line when using a "jerky" retrieve! Being the nerd that I am, and having the facilities to test it,  many years ago I decided to find out why/how it happens, and in reality it's really simple. The lure at speed in the water has momentum, and being metal has quite a bit, the line, being light does not, and the drag on the water stops the line almost immediately, but, the lure keeps moving forward for a jiffy (technical term) the drag on the line, on the front of the lure, drags it around backwards, the trebles almost instantly get caught on the line.....for a second you think you have a "hit" but, sadly not, just a long heavy wind in to fix it! See how simple it is? Not 100% sure my text description explains it all, but I tried.

edit......over the years I have tested, line and lure colours under water, line strength, stated V diameter, quality V cheap, line wear over cheap guides, quality guides and rollers and various knots for strength, all under quite controlled conditions..

Pretty much it Noel,

stop /start retrieves with metals are very effective but a jigging motion is only useful with assist hooks. Different metal lures have different optimum retrieval styles-if its built for speed (streamlined, no planing surfaces , no sharp curves )then just crank it---quick---!!!

• Like 1

Way back in the "old days" when jigging heavy metal jigs for Kingfish was all the rage, people who "jigged/jerked" the relieve always got the trebles snagged up on the line, those of us who mastered the rhythmical kind of constant wind, but a gentle rod tip lift never had that issue, and we caught fish.......I used to use a 4/0 Senator for jigging, and when the retrieve and tip jig was right, there was a sound from the reel kind of like whhiirrr, whhiirr, whhiirr, it was then I knew everything was right.

• Like 2