The Dangers Of Weed

Hi all,

This is my first post so please be gentle.

I normally fish land based in Pittwater and last week noticed a lot of big Luderick cruising around the wharf I was on so I decided to pick up some green weed from a Northern Beaches Rocks location where I have previously found some.

I went at low tide and the ocean swell was showing 3.1 metres on the tides4fishing website so i was aware that it could be a slight danger.

When I got there and started my collecting the wash was just up to my ankles so it was ok but i was still wary as I had previously slipped over and broken my thumb last October doing the same thing with thongs on.

I was just about to leave when this massive wave broke over the rock platform, which, when it got to me was above my waist. It picked me up and smashed me into the rocks, breaking my upper right arm near the shoulder.

As you can guess I will be out of fishing action for some time so it has given me the time to write this account in the hope of keeping others safe.

Reading further I found that with ocean swells you can get 3 waves a day which will be double the normal swell size.

I found this out to my misfortune.

Keep safe everyone and if anyone could PM me with a safe green weed collecting location on the northern beaches I would be most grateful as this incident has scared me immensely.

• Like 2
  • Sad 13

Welcome aboard.

Sorry to read about  your mishap.

Mate, if you go on the rocks wear rock shoes or boots with cleats.

Wear a life jacket

3.1metres is to high to be rock fishing

Take care.

• Like 5

Yep, 3m swell is no time to be near the rocks, I personally don't go for the "freak wave" "rogue wave" business, waves vary in height, no two ways about that, and at times a bigger "set" might come through. You need to be aware and know the area you're fishing/bait collecting in. Plenty of places are safe in even the biggest swell, but there's plenty that are dangerous in any swell, hill 60 Port Kembla, falls into that category. Collecting weed, cunji and stuff like that requires waters edge situations, and maximum swell exposure.

• Like 4

Collecting bait off the rocks can be more dangerous than fishing — you have to take your eyes off the ocean to see what you are doing and it can be easy to forget about the sea - it is always a good idea to have someone there with you as a spotter . Freak waves are a myth , the larger waves form when two swells merge and this can happen anytime and any amount of times a day . I typically loathe to suggest any spots for rock fishing as I would dred finding out that someone got killed fishing a spot I recommended - but I will say this , before you go anywhere near the waters edge stop and have a good 15- 20 min watch of the area you want to go to and look for that bigger than average wave , plan an escape route in case you have to get away from a wave and plan what you would have to do if you did get washed in . This will also allow you to determine which direction the swell is coming from and if you can try to put some of that headland between you and the swell - ie if it is a SE swell you want to be looking at the Northern side of the headland . You wouldn’t get me on a rock platform once the swell got over 1.5m unless it was a high one because you usually have a primary swell ( say1.5m from the east ) and a secondary swell( say 0.5 from the south east ) these can combine to give a 2m swell so you need to look for the size of both swells . Get well soon mate , it could have turned out much worse ! And welcome to Fishraider!

• Like 7

Hi Sinkenken, you should also pay extra attention to the swell period when looking at swells. The period will be measured in seconds. The swell height is one thing and can be managed, but you can have a very low swell height with a high period which is very dangerous.

Ideally, try to not go onto rocks where the period is over 10secs (10seconds not overly bad but good to draw the line in the sand at that point). Be sure to factor in swell direction, location & also the locations terrain (Eg, some ledges have deep water right next to the rock ledge, so the water can appear lower from a distance but will rise just before hitting the ledge).

• Like 3

Great first post Sinkenken!

If reading your post helps one fellow fisherman avoid this type of injury or worse makes it worth your time posting this. 👍👍

get well soon and hope to see some fruitful posts in the future.

• Like 6

Never good being swept across rocks. I'd gotten away with it for years, however my experiences are from being swept from the water over rocks and had been something I considered fun having not suffered any injuries, however my luck ran out one day and I now try to avoid being in that situation.

Glad you are still here to tell the tail.

• Like 3

Some sage advice. I can’t offer any tips for the Gong however maybe target rocks on the beach or at the end of the beach. Newcastle Beach has an excellent rock outcrop mid beach which provides a good weed. Safe east access location. I would look for something similar.

• Like 1

Just now, Subtropic said:

Some sage advice. I can’t offer any tips for the Gong however maybe target rocks on the beach or at the end of the beach. Newcastle Beach has an excellent rock outcrop mid beach which provides a good weed. Safe east access location. I would look for something similar.

Correction northern beaches not the Gong

• Like 1

When I go rock fishing, I always have somebody with me.

We arrive. Have a cup of coffee & watch the ocean & the waves for 15 minutes, & then decide where we are going to fish.

If it is to dangerous we move on to another spot.

Never fish alone on the rocks.

Cheers.

• Like 4

I have heard of a few people washed in collecting weed.

I now ALWAYS wear PFD when I walk onto the rocks. It is like a seat belt in the car. You never know when it will be required and if required in this case will save your life.

Great you got out of it alive and thanks for sharing. You could well have saved someelses life.

Well done on sharing.

Appreciated,

Geoff

On 4/27/2023 at 7:03 PM, JonD said:

Never good being swept across rocks. I'd gotten away with it for years, however my experiences are from being swept from the water over rocks and had been something I considered fun having not suffered any injuries, however my luck ran out one day and I now try to avoid being in that situation.

Glad you are still here to tell the tail.

I know what you mean, there's a spot I used to dive a lot on the south side of Bass Point, it's a kind of cliff straight into the water, getting in is a breeze, you just "jump" but getting out......the swell just rises up the rock cliff, and you go with it, elevator like, and as the wave reaches maximum height, you kind of sit/stand/grab onto the flat almost step like rock formation, timed right, it's quite good fun and easy, but......now and then! Get the timing wrong, and you're backwards down the cliff, dive gear (only snorkeling gear) getting in the way. The best option is to push away from the rock, and just fall back in the water, get yourself together and try again.

• Like 1