Stanwell Park

Gday Raiders, decided to try a little further south and fish outside of stanwell park.

Lots of bait everywhere. Plan was to jig in amongst the bait balls and see what’s down there.

Straight away I hook up to a good fish, as I’m fighting a submarine explodes out of the surface with my fish and then the tug of war begins! When it’s all over, I’m left with a head of what looks like a 60cm bonito. I get sealed once more and then I move and hook up to another 4-5 bonito all 50cm - 55cm. I keep 3 and the rest are released. 

I try wafting a soft plastic down and up comes my line, minus the terminal. I try a mackerel strip and again end up loosing my tackle…leatherjackets! Got one culprit on a slow jig.

First time down that way, looks a promising spot for future visits.

GPTempDownload.thumb.jpeg.32aeee5bdc9fe56b420d91e189af8aca.jpegGPTempDownload.thumb.jpeg.2d9d914d985d346e3f6ba52619c37f12.jpegGPTempDownload.thumb.jpeg.2ea03296fda99d38c90381d2a9cc86b8.jpegIMG_1805.thumb.jpeg.727f46e8abb821b6de6f7382076be207.jpeg

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 14

• Larkin changed the title to Stanwell Park

Bloody seals. :1taz:

At least you pulled up a few bonnies later on.

Have not seen any jackets out there for some time, so probably due to cause trouble again. Looks like it is big enough to eat - some years the size is not worth eating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isaac Ct said:

Good stuff Larkin, nice bonnies.

Well done.

Thanks Isaac, was a new area I was trying out. All the Bonnie’s were large - all over 50cm

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Bloody seals. :1taz:

At least you pulled up a few bonnies later on.

Have not seen any jackets out there for some time, so probably due to cause trouble again. Looks like it is big enough to eat - some years the size is not worth eating.

They knew what they were doing lol. Ripped the body from the head, to clear the hooks. Did the same thing twice.

A boat came by and took the heat - they tried throwing pilchards - so they could land a fish - didn’t work as all this did was keep the seals around them - which I appreciated 👍😂

A huge school of yellowtail below - managed to hook one on a jig. Below those were jackets - Hooked two on jigs - one small around 20cm and the one I kept (pictured) was somewhere between 25-30cm. I don’t mind the old leather jacket floured and pan fried.

1 hour ago, bessell1955 said:

Wow the seal took the Lions' share of that fish!

Yeah it was a real battle. Amazing the power of wild animals - they ripped the head from the body by whiplashing it very aggressively. 

• Like 2

Excellent report mate. Yes - it’s a love hate relationship with the seals and fishermen - and they are smart. 
Lots of good fishing down south you’re really putting that jet ski through its paces 👍👍👍
cheers Zoran 

Edited by zmk1962
Spelling
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Rebel said:

Top report.

Great photos.

Well done.

Thanks Rebel!
Photos taken from the vid - bit of cussing in the vid though 😂

10 hours ago, kantong said:

great report, thanks for sharing! 

Thanks Kantong! 👍

2 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Chris!

those seals know what they are doing🤷🏻‍♂️

plenty of baits or fillets there👌

Thanks Rob - the fillets were quite thick - made some sashimi & the rest stocking up the bait fridge for the snapper season.

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Excellent report mate. Yes - it’s a love hate relationship with the seals and fishermen - and they are smart. 
Lots of good fishing down south you’re really putting that jet ski through its paces 👍👍👍
cheers Zoran 

thanks Zoran - been exploring a fair bit lately. 
This last spot I really want to visit again as I believe with the amount of baitfish it should be holding some larger fish.

• Like 1