Gunnamatta Bay

Yowie

Headed out early this morning to Gunnamatta, anchored on the drop off and threw out into the deeper water. Also tossed out a piece of cooked prawn over the sand bank behind me for the bream. Another piece of prawn hooked onto something weighty, probably a good sized shovelnose. On whiting gear it was not swimming near the boat, just swimming away so busted it off.

Caught a couple of yakkas and cut them into strips to be attacked by reddies - non were legal - and the crabs. Not big crabs but welcome for this time of year. Tailor on a pillie.

Pulled up a couple of banjos as well, and on the last cast a 63cm flattie that fought hard. Released it as it was a healthy looking fish.

Just on sunrise, fish were splashing in less than a metre of water over the sand bank. A number of follow-ups and hits on a small metal, but no hookups. Decided to head out to the rocks on both sides of the mouth of the Hacking with a squid jig for nothing.

Headed back into Gunnamatta and saw birds working so threw out a metal again. Many follow-ups and hits on the lure, and eventually hooked 3 salmon around the 40cm mark. Not big but good sport, all released.

The Maritime boat was waiting in the channel (the officer had spoken to everyone in boats during the morning) so when I stopped fishing, I motored over to him, and had a quick gear inspection, but a half hour chat, about his work, my former work, fishing, fishing spots, pesky jet skis 🤣. He and the other Maritime officers are making undercover patrols on jet skis, and speaking to quite a few young riders causing problems.

Headed back to base after that.

fish.jpeg.395_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Good haul.

Nice crabs.

Good news about the jet skis.

Well done.

Thank you, not a lot but happy with it.

It is good about the undercover jet skiers. The officer said the most arrogant people are those wealthy ones on the Harbour, being indignant having to undergo an equipment check. :1taz:    🤣🤣🤣

Nice catch yowie! 
Sounds like you had a bit of action

love the crabs - for me they’re a rare catch. Sometimes I’ll take heavy hand lines with a chunk of mullet - but haven’t tried for a while.

Would you know what the best time of the year and what tide/time of day is best to catch them in the hacking?

8 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice catch yowie! 
Sounds like you had a bit of action

love the crabs - for me they’re a rare catch. Sometimes I’ll take heavy hand lines with a chunk of mullet - but haven’t tried for a while.

Would you know what the best time of the year and what tide/time of day is best to catch them in the hacking?

Thank you.

From late spring to early autumn is the best for the blue swimmers. During autumn, some of the bigger males will be cruising the deeper water up from Lilli Pilli.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

2 days straight Dave?

I’m jealous….can’t wait to get the boat wet again!

I missed fishing last week, so just balancing the stats. 😁

• Haha 1