Back on the Snapper!

Gday raiders - a couple of mates that also jet ski fish wanted to go out to the peak today.

Headed over to Yarra bay to get bait - stacked up yakkas everywhere at the moment over the artificial reef in the middle of the bay.

Conditions were a little rough on the way out - wind was higher than predicted, but it came good after a couple of hours.

Fished for an hour or so with nothing much to show - deep dropped some baits but jackets everywhere and lines came up with no hooks.

Mates wanted to go to 12 mile - I decided to stay back at the peak and as soon as they left, the bite started.

I decided to just jig - got 2 rat kings around 55cm, 3 bonitos the two largest around 55cm, a couple of sergeant baker, a leather jacket, and 4 Barracouta - largest around a meter.

After bring up all these on jigs, arms were tired so headed in to the reefs around coogie. Put out 2 rods with salted bonito strip baits.

Picked up a pigfish - haven’t eaten one before and I hear they’re quite good eating.

Then my rod goes off and I’m onto a good fish - head shakes and hard runs - I knew what it was - had a good fight turning the fish & up comes a nice 65cm red.
After this the bite stops and my two mates show up. They had no luck at 12 mile with only a 60cm rat king caught and unfortunately just missed the bite at this spot too. 

IMG_1897.thumb.jpeg.c329b10d5664933979d418543beb6145.jpegIMG_1900.thumb.jpeg.53d5b9e10c41649fa7da71c233bedce4.jpegIMG_1886.thumb.jpeg.63cee2b7f64aacbfcbd1df876a24e282.jpegGPTempDownload.thumb.jpeg.785788d593358448793aa8b4dfcf1a7b.jpegGPTempDownload.thumb.jpeg.cd47bf5f4c59cb83d56d91a331ce50f1.jpeg

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 19

Very nice red, the pick of the catch.

Piggies are reasonably good eating. As for Barry Couta, a pain in the arse, prone to chewing off gear like the jackets, though jackets are good to eat if big enough.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Yowie said:

Very nice red, the pick of the catch.

Piggies are reasonably good eating. As for Barry Couta, a pain in the arse, prone to chewing off gear like the jackets, though jackets are good to eat if big enough.

Thanks yowie!

going to try the pig - crumbed fillets. Have caught them before but not kept.

don’t mind the jackets but only on the plate😂

3 hours ago, JustJames said:

Nice going!

I always thought the bonito disappeared when the warmer water left, as I stop catching them on trolled lures.  Do they stick around but change their habits in the cooler months?

They do disappear in the colder months, but still a few around at the moment.

Caught a few trolling 2 weeks back.

This and last week got them jigging on offshore reefs over bait balls.

3 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

What a great selection of fish.

Thanks Bessel,

was happy with a bit of variety for a change.

3 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great stuff Larkin, nice bag. Tasty box of fish.

Well done.

Thanks Isaac, a few tasty fish in there!

40 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Top haul &great photos.

Nice Red.

Well done

thanks Rebel!

not many bites as it was around midday - then rod bent over. Must of been cruising by.

11 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Great session Chris!

Bet you were happy with the red…a corker!!

Thanks Rob

yeah it was a surprise, as it was around midday.
I was in a snapper spot, but no bites other than the pigfish. Then while I was eating a snack, the rod bent over and it was all on! After that no more bites again.

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

A nice mixed bag - once th barracuda start turning up you know winter has arrived - was the water cold?

Thanks Bob! Quite a few of them out there. I don’t think I looked at the temp on the sounder, but it didn’t feel cold - the wind in the morning on the other hand was definitely cold.