Home tied rigs

Bloggsy

A mate and myself are always trying new ways of tying fishing rigs for catching mainly flathead and snapper to improve our catch. I have another mate from Victoria who rejects all of our research and always ties his own fan dangled set up but always manages to catch fish on the most unlikely looking set up.

So would anyone like to comment and prefferably with pictures/drawings show their prefered set up with dimensions for the 2 main species that I have mentioned as well as anything else.

• Like 2

Both species don't require anything special, a simple Paternoster rig will work fine if drifting, but, don't tie quick double loops and just loop your hook on....that's OK for the sinker, but, not the hook. If anchored, then a small ball sinker running to a 4/0 suicide hook will work great for Snapper. Either setup takes a minute at best to tie, so no need to "pre make" them.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

Take a look at this video, Mel catches everything on this rig and I recently tried it in the Hawkesbury against my rig that I have been using forever - it gave my rig a kicking!

• Like 1

My Dad & Uncles always taught me the bait comes first.

That is all the fish are interested in.

Remember back in those days they used hand lines.

I know people who still use hand lines. There are some of them on this Forum.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, noelm said:

Both species don't require anything special, a simple Paternoster rig will work fine if drifting, but, don't tie quick double loops and just loop your hook on....that's OK for the sinker, but, not the hook. If anchored, then a small ball sinker running to a 4/0 suicide hook will work great for Snapper. Either setup takes a minute at best to tie, so no need to "pre make" them.

I assume you mean that you don't attach the hook directly to the double line created from tying a dropper knot Noel. So how do you attach the hook?

bn

• Like 1

16 hours ago, XD351 said:

Take a look at this video, Mel catches everything on this rig and I recently tried it in the Hawkesbury against my rig that I have been using forever - it gave my rig a kicking!

She's good at explaining things XD351. A good angler, though she never seems to wear a life jacket.  bn

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

I assume you mean that you don't attach the hook directly to the double line created from tying a dropper knot Noel. So how do you attach the hook?

bn

I use a single strand to tie on the hook, a simple loop  only doubles the line thickness without adding strength, one part of the loop breaks, the hook is gone! My Paternoster is easy, just get a decent swivel to suit the main line, tie it on one end of the swivel, get another length to suit your sinker leader length (this varies according to bottom and species) tie it onto the other end of the swivel, a loop in the end to loop on Snapper leads, now get a second leader for the hook, tie it to the same end as the sinker, then just tie your hook on. This rig allows the swivel to still keep the main line twist free, rarely tangles, and if a decent fish is hooked, there is a direct pull from main line, through swivel to hook, plus the hook is tied to a single strand, often resulting in way more bites!. For Snapper, I use a really long sinker leader, keeping the bait a metre or so off the bottom, but I rarely drift for Snapper, just now and then, plus putting on another hook takes a second, or replacing either leader is simple too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2023 at 12:40 PM, Bloggsy said:

A mate and myself are always trying new ways of tying fishing rigs for catching mainly flathead and snapper to improve our catch. I have another mate from Victoria who rejects all of our research and always ties his own fan dangled set up but always manages to catch fish on the most unlikely looking set up.

So would anyone like to comment and prefferably with pictures/drawings show their prefered set up with dimensions for the 2 main species that I have mentioned as well as anything else.

I pre-tie most of my rigs. They are then wound onto sections of pool noodles for easy transportation and use on the boat. I just find it more convenient to snap on a ready to go rig when one is lost or damaged rather than tie on the spot - especially if I have newbies on the boat that are not familiar with knots and rigs.  I have even made a paternoster peg board to help me tie the rigs. 

I've posted about the board in the workshop, and written many posts about my paternoster rigs and how I bait them for flathead previously - have you tried using the search bar? 

For snapper I oscillate between two rigs, one as Noel has described - a single paternoster (simple swivel or 3-way swivel) - sinker to suit conditions at bottom, a long 1m leader off the swivel (@goingfishing described this as a hybrid paternoster in one of his bottom bashing posts), the other rig is just a  long leader with hook at the end with a ball sinker (to suit conditions) that slides all the way to the hook.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2023 at 1:33 PM, XD351 said:

The good old hook,swivel and sinker rig along with the running sinker rig. The first rigs you learnt to start your fishing adventures. Simple and very effective 

• Like 1

I have read all the above with interest.

But I will still stick to the old school version as above works for me.

I still use top of the range Mono & no fancy knots.

Half the price of Braid.

Cheers.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rebel said:

I have read all the above with interest.

But I will still stick to the old school version as above works for me.

I still use top of the range Mono & no fancy knots.

Half the price of Braid.

Cheers.

Which mono do you use Rebel?    bn

• Like 1

Funny thing, when I am drifting for Flathead (which is not that often) I use a rod when the drift is slow and you can get away with a small sinker, but is it's a bit faster, I use a handline, don't know why really, it's just something I do.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On the weekend I made up some rigs which combined Mel Spike's rig with Roger Osborne's.  A wire rig, with some green glow beads.

Fishing on Culburra Beach from 3.30 to 6.45 in the evening.  Until 6pm I had caught nothing, and with it being dark decided that the wire traces would not alarm the fishies.  After swapping over to The Rig, which I did bang on 6, I proceeded to land 5 or 6 taylor in the next 45 minutes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, XD351 said:

You can buy a UV torch to charge up the beads and make them glow , really good for after sundown.  

Or a person may have kept one of the UV torches that came with a Covid test, and yes, it does indeed work a treat.

Ditto for powering up squid lures.

• Like 1