Keeping Poddy mullet in freshwater aquarium?

AlbertW

Hey Raiders,

Just asking around if anyone's had experience keeping mullet in a tank as aquarium fish (going to be used as live bait sooner or later), I've got a 200L freshwater tank with a filter that lets water back into the tank aerating it in the process. I've done some research and found that mullet can live in freshwater but I want to be sure before I convert my tank. Also if anyone successfully kept them as pets what do you feed them? 

Any info is greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Albert

I've kept bait poddies for over a month in a 60 litre drum with a 240v airator.   They are pretty tough and change water after 3 days and then once a week.  Fed very litlle, just dried breadcrumbs as overfeeding fouls the water quickly.  I have also had a few in a salt water tank with under gravel filter etc and they were easy eating bits of prawn like everyone else.  Did well until I caught a 1 inch lionfish who quickly grew and ate everything in the tank.  Big mistake.  Ron  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, campr said:

I've kept bait poddies for over a month in a 60 litre drum with a 240v airator.   They are pretty tough and change water after 3 days and then once a week.  Fed very litlle, just dried breadcrumbs as overfeeding fouls the water quickly.  I have also had a few in a salt water tank with under gravel filter etc and they were easy eating bits of prawn like everyone else.  Did well until I caught a 1 inch lionfish who quickly grew and ate everything in the tank.  Big mistake.  Ron  

Was the 60 litre drum freshwater? If so was the water change tap water with prime?

1 hour ago, dirvin21 said:

Depends on the mullet species, not all of them csn survive in both

Generally speaking fish don't go well when switched from one extreme to the other

Might try bringing some aquarium water when I go and maybe mixing a little bit of the salt to acclimate them?

Addition to above.  If you want to keep in fresh water, try aclimatising them in a large bucket of water from where you caught them.  Then take some water out each day and replace with fresh.  Do this for a few days at least before putting into your tank.  If you already have an aquarium you probably know you should be aging water from the tap for a few days first to remove cadded chloride.   Ron 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlbertW said:

Might try bringing some aquarium water when I go and maybe mixing a little bit of the salt to acclimate them?

Just now, campr said:

Addition to above.  If you want to keep in fresh water, try aclimatising them in a large bucket of water from where you caught them.  Then take some water out each day and replace with fresh.  Do this for a few days at least before putting into your tank.  If you already have an aquarium you probably know you should be aging water from the tap for a few days first to remove cadded chloride.   Ron 

was just thinking that 🤣

6 minutes ago, AlbertW said:

Was the 60 litre drum freshwater? If so was the water change tap water with prime?

I replace with saltwater.  Just example of how tough they are.  See my addition  on possibility to switch to fresh. Ron 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, campr said:

Sorry I mayhave mislead you with 60l drum.  If keeping for a week or so, 20 litre bucket is fine.  Ron 

I'll acclimate them in a bucket then move them to the fresh, is a canister filter enough for an aerator? I've got an aqua one nautilus 1100 

In a plastic tub with aerator i have taken them from salt water to fresh water and back again.  I just changed a bit of water each day, i was using tap water but aged in a bucket for a few days before switching.   I didn't feed them much.

The night before a fishing trip id just put them in the live bait tank so the switch to salt water was pretty sudden 🤣.  The left overs came home and went back to fresh over time. 

Edited by Welster
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, AlbertW said:

one last question, will goldfish be alright with mullet or should I move them

Best not put fresh caught fish in with aquarium fish, lots of species carry diseases that are harmless in the wild, but when in captivity it will spread and kill your Goldfish. Best option is a seperate tank/drum, with some kind of circulation system, change some of the (salt)  water reasonably regularly. A big flat container with a lot of surface area is way better than a tall skinny container.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AlbertW said:

one last question, will goldfish be alright with mullet or should I move them

if you're going to narrabeen you might as well go to get some sea cabbage and grow it as well. Only need some phosphate and iron solution

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, faker said:

if you're going to narrabeen you might as well go to get some sea cabbage and grow it as well. Only need some phosphate and iron solution

Damn, I didn't know you could get sea cabbage at narrabeen

Just now, AlbertW said:

Damn, I didn't know you could get sea cabbage at narrabeen

you could have nabbed it from any of the rock pools on the way honestly. Grow a stock pile for luderick fishing. I have tried scouring parramatta river for weed but can;t find any. and not sure if some of the sample weed i found in local pond/creek works

• Like 1

1 minute ago, faker said:

you could have nabbed it from any of the rock pools on the way honestly. Grow a stock pile for luderick fishing. I have tried scouring parramatta river for weed but can;t find any. and not sure if some of the sample weed i found in local pond/creek works

Do you reckon just a plastic bucket and salt water? maybe some sand as well

9 minutes ago, AlbertW said:

Do you reckon just a plastic bucket and salt water? maybe some sand as well

honestly a bucket and a marine light should work. just needs enough iron in them and phosphate. Not sure exact amount probably should ask aquarium shop.

Edit> Also need an aerator

Edited by faker
  • Like 1

Ive kept a few fish under permit for aquariums and found constant water change and maintaining a constant cool temp was key to keeping them. I sold one tank to someone wanting to do what you are keen on which the fella soon gave up as it was so easy to just go and catch bait before he wanted to fish. 

Something to consider is the slime on the fish may well take on a different smell from keeping them at home with tap water and while you may be able to keep them alive they may not be as good as local fresh caught ones. Don't overcrowd any tank with fish as you will be constantly fighting to keep the water quality clean. I seem to remember needing to change around 20% of the water every three days in my saltwater tank which involved having to find a clean bay to fill two 20lt containers. 

Sorry Im no help on the freshwater side with mullet.

• Like 1