Lead sinker price ?

frankS

Hi guys. I have a heap of sinkers that I will never use and thought I would offer them to members here to save them some dollars.

My question before putting them up for sale is What should I sell them for ? I mean I want them gone but I don't want to simply give them all away.

I have Snapper leads, bean sinkers, spoon sinkers, and some ball sinkers with a nipple on them similar to a round bell type.

What do you Guys/Gals think I should ask for them ? Probably sell by the kilo so how much for a kilo of lead sinker ?.

I also have a heap of wheel weights that need to be melted down which still have the steel fasteners in them.

As well I have about 30 kilo of shot lead, small beads which shotgun cartridges/bullets are made from.

Sale would be mainly pick up from my house but I could post but keep in mind postage costs.

Frank

17 minutes ago, frankS said:

Hi guys. I have a heap of sinkers that I will never use and thought I would offer them to members here to save them some dollars.

My question before putting them up for sale is What should I sell them for ? I mean I want them gone but I don't want to simply give them all away.

I have Snapper leads, bean sinkers, spoon sinkers, and some ball sinkers with a nipple on them similar to a round bell type.

What do you Guys/Gals think I should ask for them ? Probably sell by the kilo so how much for a kilo of lead sinker ?.

I also have a heap of wheel weights that need to be melted down which still have the steel fasteners in them.

As well I have about 30 kilo of shot lead, small beads which shotgun cartridges/bullets are made from.

Sale would be mainly pick up from my house but I could post but keep in mind postage costs.

Frank

Hi Frank. I just had a look at the price of scrap lead and was greatly surprised to see it is worth around $2/kg. I'm sure the last lot I got rid of was much more than that. Of course there's a lot of work that goes into making scrap lead into sinkers so you would expect a lot more than that. Large bean sinkers can be as much as $1-2 each in fishing shops, so maybe that's the best guide. Good luck selling them, somebody on here should be interested. Hi to Val. Take care mate. bn

• Like 2

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hi Frank. I just had a look at the price of scrap lead and was greatly surprised to see it is worth around $2/kg. I'm sure the last lot I got rid of was much more than that. Of course there's a lot of work that goes into making scrap lead into sinkers so you would expect a lot more than that. Large bean sinkers can be as much as $1-2 each in fishing shops, so maybe that's the best guide. Good luck selling them, somebody on here should be interested. Hi to Val. Take care mate. bn

Neil. I first thought I would sell the sinkers at scrap led price but when I seen it was just $2 a kilo I thought I will just hang onto it all, not worth selling at that price.

Frank

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Put them on the usual outlets or contact some fishing clubs.

Good luck.

I would rather Fishraiders get the benefit of cheap sinkers. If I don't sell majority of it I will melt them down and make downrigger bombs from them, which I know I can sell at a good price.

Frank

14 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

I sold a few kilos of buck shot (lead) to a bloke a few years ago through gumtree.

I kept about 20kg for me which I still have.

Try fb marketplace and gumtree mate.

IMG_0459.jpeg

Yes mate that is the stuff, have about 30 kilo of it.

Actually there is a bit of a story behind where I got it from that would surprise you.

Frank

Edited by frankS

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Neil. I first thought I would sell the sinkers at scrap led price but when I seen it was just $2 a kilo I thought I will just hang onto it all, not worth selling at that price.

Frank

you get a scabby $2 a kilo then go and try buying lead from the shops.You’ll fall over when you see the prices.I went into the hardware to buy lead flashing once and when I saw the prices I nearly ran out the aisle I left so quick.I ain’t no mug.

Personally Id look at the retail price of molded sinkers VS lead weight & then discount to whatever % your ok with but molded sinkers are worth much more!

Its taken your time(or someone else) to process the materials into a ready to go fishable product.

The bulk is a different story & maybe look at a local metal dealer or someone on this forum who actually who has their own moulds/smelter which is rare these days.  

• 2 weeks later...