Importance of local knowledge

Nelson bay 17/7/23

Gkt chatting to some locals and was given a few secret spots where large fish have been caught quite regularly. Anyways traditionally haven't caught anything big apart from sharks. 

Anyways got there got pike after pike on cooked prawns. Many garfish around as well. Threw out a chunk of tuna on a 6/0 circle, and after about 10 mins, went to check the rod and felt a very heavy weight. After a good 20 min fight, big portjackson, close to 1m, wasn't able to land, so cut the hook and released. They put up a good fight though 

Rerigged put a pike on a 9/0 and 6/0 snell rig, under a float and threw it out into the current. After about 30 mins or so, slow peeling of line, waited a few seconds then turned off bait runner and had a massive weight, felt a lot heavier heavy, and just a slow but very strong pull until these big shakes. I was starting to loose line, and about to get into the backing, so i tightened the drag and dug in like fighting a shark, was thinking it was a Jewish because of the shakes but never would have thought a Jewish would be this strong. Kept leaning back and eventually the rod gave in and snapped. The one time I use lighter gear I hook into a monster and break the rod, bit of a heart break but still an awesome experience. There's definitely monsters around there. 

Screenshot_20230718-121317.png

• Like 11

3 hours ago, noelm said:

Port Jackson and Pike, sounds like a big old Ray to me….always better to imagine it’s a big Jew, but, sadly usually not.

It was a live pike, so doubt a ray got it. Just a few nights before, there was a very large Jew pulled out on a yakka.

14 hours ago, slothparade said:

It was a live pike, so doubt a ray got it. Just a few nights before, there was a very large Jew pulled out on a yakka.

No, sorry, Rays love Pike, I know it’s always better to imagine a huge Jew, but when you actually land/see these huge fish, they are always big old Rays. The fight you described is classic Ray, slow, powerful, then “beats” and some speed.

Edited by noelm

9 hours ago, noelm said:

No, sorry, Rays love Pike, I know it’s always better to imagine a huge Jew, but when you actually land/see these huge fish, they are always big old Rays. The fight you described is classic Ray, slow, powerful, then “beats” and some speed.

That should be Everything likes a live pike!!! but the fight sure sounds like a ray to me!!