Please read the DPI July report

big Neil

Can I suggest that you all read the above report posted by Donna? There are numerous topics covered which will, almost certainly, apply to you and the type of fishing you may be doing. Topics include the preservation of valuable soapie Jewfish ( including a suggestion to use circle hooks to help prevent deep gut hook-ups), Fishing ferry wharf etiquette, putting rubbish away, and interesting information on Marlin tagging.

Another topic, which was of interest to me, states that Fisheries Officers found about 10% of people targeting Murray Crayfish were doing the wrong thing. This figure may well be reflected in other types of angling. Might be an opportune time to just check that you are doing the right thing in helping to maintain species stocks for the future.

bn

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Ever since discovering them, I've been a big fan of circle hooks.

As per the article, they are good for fish because they minimise gut hook-ups.

They are also good for fisherman, because they allow the fish to hook themselves.  No more hovering on your rod/handline wonderng whether it's time to strike...and then ripping the bait out of the fish's mouth.  Watch your rod, and when it starts waving around, there's a fish!

• Like 2

Hi All, I received ours by email. Neil will be happy with the high output of Murray Cod fingerlings.

Regarding the Jewfish I saw some drone footage of a large school of quite large Jewfish, <1m, in a mid north coast river last month in what we thought was a large breeding event. Well we hope so anyway as the stocks were not looking good untill last season.