metal lures vs main line and leaders

faker

I've never heard of a rule that relates directly to jig weight and breaking strain of mainline and leader. I presume you mean for casting purposes.

I think the main considerations should include the rod, reel, mainline, and leader relative to the particular lure weight. Obviously, you want to cast it as far as possible and not have the line break. To this end, it's probably best to use the heavier lines that suit the rod and reel, especially if the retrieve is fast and line visibility isn't a major concern.

bn

• Like 2

Use the rod's casting weight to guide your lure weight, if you're using the correct line class for the rod it should all be fine

In saying that It's better to go a little heavier on the line with metals, nothing worse than making a perfect super long cast and realising your lure isn't attached to the line😐

• Like 4

I guess there is only one answer “common sense” no one would use (say) 6 pound line and try to cast a huge/heavy lure over the horizon! It’s all just a matter of matching what you have, and are trying to achieve.

• Like 2

As others have said. Work within the rod ratings for line and lure and you shouldn't go wrong. Something else to think about. It is shock loading which is more likely to snap a line rather than lure weight. If that bail arm flips over on an aggressive cast then that crack of the line snapping is usually impressive. When casting however the flex in the rod stops the shock loading and you should be able to cast heavier lures without snapping the line as long as it loads up smoothly. It does however bring some other concerns into play such as snapping a rod tip.

BTW with braid most of them will overtest and often significantly. That 6lb braid is more likely to break at 10lb or even 12lb so there is a safety factor in line strength.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DerekD said:

As others have said. Work within the rod ratings for line and lure and you shouldn't go wrong. Something else to think about. It is shock loading which is more likely to snap a line rather than lure weight. If that bail arm flips over on an aggressive cast then that crack of the line snapping is usually impressive. When casting however the flex in the rod stops the shock loading and you should be able to cast heavier lures without snapping the line as long as it loads up smoothly. It does however bring some other concerns into play such as snapping a rod tip.

BTW with braid most of them will overtest and often significantly. That 6lb braid is more likely to break at 10lb or even 12lb so there is a safety factor in line strength.

yea i was a bit concerned with snapping line but wanted to get away with light as i can with them. granted I am chucking $2 ali express jigs which have been handling tailor reasonably well

9 hours ago, faker said:

yea i was a bit concerned with snapping line but wanted to get away with light as i can with them. granted I am chucking $2 ali express jigs which have been handling tailor reasonably well

Well as a guide 20lb line will handle 3 oz sinkers plus bait without any breakoffs. I have even used 4 oz when snapper fishing off the rocks.